Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #9631
Consanguinity
Blowjobs/Cunnilingus-Spc.

Written by an old wench who presumably could not get laid who needs to make a defense of asexuality and single life, a case that I think should be made.

j/k

I skipped to the second part where he breaks down Thomas Hobbes and his war with John Wallis. He really failed to elaborate meanings in the first 20+ pages s I was like fuck it, if he can't be any clearer about the Zenoic paradox then I'll read the section on Hobbes.

Hobbes wrote a thick fucking book called Leviathan, not in itself referring to its size although fitting.

Hobbes kind of tickles my fancy so far, but I think he was a materialist and advocated something more than monarchy, a true totalitarianism, with a king at the wheel.

He wrote some extremely well designed arguments against Descartes Meditations, just a few of which I've read, and he and Gassendi were the only ones to level worthy objections. However, even at times they both seem to fall short of comprehending Descartes' meaning.

Descartes sent me into a mania for days I think after reading his book.
Consanguinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #9632
kurrpt
Respect the beard

onto the last book of the Dune series by the original author. Not sure I'll stick with it when his son takes over.

No idea where I'll go when this one is over
kurrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #9633
guitarded_chuck
roit cheeky buga

reading 11/22/63 by stephen king cause i heard it's actually really good. enjoying it so far
guitarded_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #9634
johnnyblaze

8/10 - For a big book, this one sort of flew by. His writing is all it's cracked up to be; the book is full of really interesting characters and the storytelling was great, even if the ending did make me feel like parts of the book were left a little unfinished. Really enjoyable read.

Going to read some more Murakami next, A Wild Sheep Chase.
johnnyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #9635
The Laughing Man
Your move, creep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded_chuck View Post
I kind of want to read that but in this age of genome sequencing and fMRI, trying to find purely psychoanalytic explanations for schizophrenia strikes me as patently ridiculous. That shit's a real disease, not role confusion.
The Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #9636
Firecracker
bVI Ic V7 I

i just read this and it's marvellous.
Firecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #9637
NorthernSkylark
lr

i've just read Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood. Saw the film first and got interested in the story and i have to say that it's even better as a book. I'm gonna read it again, before moving on to his other books. Well, i read Kafka on the Beach once but i didn't find it nearly as engaging as Norwegian Wood.

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

Old 10-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #9638
virginyet
mx newbie

The Society Of The Spectacle by Guy DEBORD

amazing!
virginyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #9639
Aiwaz
Back To Times Of Splendor

Digging: Tangerine Dream - Atem

Old 10-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #9640
johnnyblaze

7/10 - It was okay. Less dark, more comedic, and much shorter than The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. The characters, while still really interesting, were far less developed. I liked the middle section of the book the most. The end, though it did feel finished, I didn't like.

Just started Cat's Cradle.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #9641
johnnyblaze

9/10 - As a fan of Vonnegut, I don't know why it took me so long to read this... worthy of all it's accolades.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #9642
guitarded_chuck
roit cheeky buga

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
I kind of want to read that but in this age of genome sequencing and fMRI, trying to find purely psychoanalytic explanations for schizophrenia strikes me as patently ridiculous. That shit's a real disease, not role confusion.
you are right but there are also people with "personality disorders" of which laing's ideas seem to better apply (a condition which many, many people "suffer" from on some level)

should give it a skim through and come back and tell me what you think of it then, would be an interesting convo

Last edited by guitarded_chuck; 10-22-2014 at 06:24 AM.
guitarded_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #9643
don23
mx newbie

Gray Mountain by John Grisham

pretty good!
don23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #9644
Aiwaz

Old 10-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #9645
Biblius
No homo, full bi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecracker View Post

i just read this and it's marvellous.
I saw this book on clearance at HPB and bought it on a complete whim, and I really enjoyed this story. To date, I've only read 2 other novels within Chinese literature: Red Sorghum by Mo Yan, and To Live by Yu Hua. This book was wonderful with the perspective it provided and the story it told.

I recently finished the final book in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams:

What can I even say about such a legendary series? It was hilarious, brilliant, and I had a hard time putting the books down.

I'm almost finished with Kurt Vonnegurt's Slaughterhouse Five, which is excellent as well!
Biblius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM   #9646
Volumnius Flush
Tway's Sugardaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
Peter Bregigin stresses precursors in childhood and life at home that lead to schizophrenia in some people. It's a vulnerable psyche, and it's also a poor attempt at verbalizing the frustrations. He says that often the psychotic is making a sort of sense, but it's not ideal and it's troublesome to decipher.

I have a case in point, like about a week ago, I was outside about 1 AM talking to one of the homeless guys. There's another guy out on the street that 'remembers' he owes him $5. Jim says he never made such an agreement, and is like "Yeah, yeah, you'll get your money!"

But the guy is full blown insane. This didn't stop me from engaging in a conversation with him. He lacks a considerable level of sense. He can't talk without almost spitting with a dripping mouth and he likes to be inches away from you when he talks. It's incredibly uncomfortable.

But he said something truly extraordinary. And it was so extraordinary in light of what's been on my mind lately, heavily on my mind. And he said this to me even though he had no idea HOW meaningful this statement was.

It was extraordinary. It was quite a miraculous moment. A God-inspired moment.

Do I know if he knows what he said? He has to have some basic knowledge of what he was talking about. There's no way he could have said what he said and not have some very basic knowledge.

Theologically, it's astonishing, and I've never heard anyone ever come close to discovering what it was he suggested.

I always had the belief that this sort of thing was possible.

Like the old druggie/homeless guy who saw my band t-shirt with the Jaeger logo. He says, "You know what that symbol means? OH DEAR LORD"

DAMN.. Somethings you have to be fucking blazed to discover. There's no way. The homeless are truly geniuses who are non-functioning in society. Or a small number of them are.
Volumnius Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #9647
iKnowKarateBroSRS
mx newbie

I Killed: True Stories of the Road from America's Top Comics

So many cool stories if you're a fan of stand up comedy.
Technically not 100% done with it but will finish tomorrow
iKnowKarateBroSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #9648
Aiwaz