Old 08-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
dpakman91

Video of 11 Jazz Exercises

I recorded myself today playing 8 different syncopation exercises, and 3 stick control examples, and i guess they are all "jazz" example.

I made intertitles on the video so i won't explain the exercises here.

I believe that most of these main concepts are from Alan Dawson's book "The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary," and some have had modifications done to them suggested by Kim Plainfield (I don't have the Plainfield book or info, but this is according to what my teacher told me).

In the video, I am playing the first two lines on the FIRST PAGE of those 8 famous syncopation pages

Download link, hosted on my own webspace, so don't worry about anything weird with the file:

http://www.skaloosh.com/drums/jazzstuff-2006-08-06.wmv
Old 08-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
dpakman91

Actually i jus realized it's 12 example, not 11
Old 08-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
othankheavenfor311
SEXTON > God

i dont have time now... ill take a look later

i expect it to be awsome
Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Loser

is that duct tape? if so poor ride cymbal.

How do you reach that cowbell?

Last edited by Loser; 08-06-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
dpakman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser
is that duct tape? if so poor ride cymbal.

How do you reach that cowbell?
yes, it's duct tape, hahah..it's a pretty bad ride, sabian XS20...my drums are sweet but my cymbals, not so much yet...

the cowbell is easy to reach, i'm lefty, so it's the same motion as playing my hi-hat open handed
Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
dpakman91

baaaah, 60 views and only 2 comments?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
FockerTheLopper
Yeah

Before doing patterns learn to swing! Your cymbal sounds dead. Not to be negative but it needs life man! Don't worry I was playing for about 1 and a half years before I did it but if you work at it from now and find some jazz that you like and try to imitate it you'll be on the fast track to swinging. Great consistency but again, if the swing is flat and boring it doesn't matter how consistent it is. Work on just your left(forgot you were lefty!) hand and feet with the feet going quaters and bass 2/4 on hat and quaters bass and hats. When you get a feel that you like(I suggest with imitating the Blakey feel first, its not too easy but its a great place to start since its very heavy on 2 and 4).
Keep it man, every time you post a video it has major improvement, I remember one of your first ones where you barely go around the toms, you've come a long way, just work on the sound of the notes instead of just getting them.
Again to say, your playing was very good, just work on your ride sound, those things your doing are pretty hard and you have great time.

Last edited by FockerTheLopper; 08-07-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
some jive turkey
honks at traffic-in clave

I only gave it a quick listen, and with my lousy little speakers on the laptop at that, but the ride kind of sounded a little stiff to me also. More like you were thinking 16th notes 1 ,2--ah, 3, 4 --ah.

as in, 2--ah, with out the e, and &

something closer to a triplet feel (w/o the middle note) might "flow" more at that tempo.

yeah, do what focker said and listen to some recordings.

but other than that, i thought it was jim-dandy
Old 08-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
FockerTheLopper
Yeah

Yeah you need to remember that the faster the tempo the more straight the swing is. It flattens out around 280-300 although Tony Williams would often flatten it(straight not swung) at tempos as low as 220. That isn't the only thing that makes your ride sound dead, one of my teachers used to swing 16ths at that tempo and many many great players do. Its all about how you hear it, meaning that there is no one way to swing and you can just compare some great players to prove that. Look at Tony Williams, Elvin Jones and Jimmy Cobb(really far extremes). They all swing really differently and they're some of the biggest names in jazz. Just listen and find what you like and eventually you'll start hearing how you want to swing.