Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 AM   #74521
Volumnius Flush
Tway's Sugardaddy

The political potency of the "I'm against slavery" argument that liberals depend on is not in its pretensions to humanity but, to highlight by contradistinction that your opponent does support slavery.

This impugns all Southern people as continuing to be personally morally culpable for the sin of slavery based on a provincial argument about a region in which someone lives.

That's probably a sound hypothesis to a Northerner who has never visited the American South, but in 26 years, I've known many people from all over the country who moved here, from Ohio, New York, and many other places who can't truly be categorized with the 'guilty', if one may truly be guilty for something centuries ago which they had nothing to do with. My family also comes from both a slave state and a non-slave state; am I only half-culpable?
Volumnius Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #74522
Volumnius Flush
Tway's Sugardaddy

Are all Southern people who moved to the North, and generations of their descendants now free of the sin of slavery? This strange system of distribution of culpability 'points' seems very arbitrary. Do I become less culpable as a member of the United Methodist Church, which fought vigorously in several countries for decades to win abolition?

This task of assigning guilt and regional superiority of the North over the South is the sort of attitude that led to such bitter regional divisions that made the Civil War possible, and continuing today, will make another civil war inevitable.

I support any Texas effort asserting rights of secession and abrogating Supreme Court decisions in the Republic of Texas.

Last edited by Volumnius Flush; 06-28-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Volumnius Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #74523
HalfManHalfAmazing

Well, in my experience, liberals tend to group ALL white people together as having been guilty of slavery, because of the minute chance any of their ancestors actually did hold slaves. And I see nothing wrong with levying a bulk of their contempt towards the South, because they were the only region of the United States who as a whole wanted to defend that institution
HalfManHalfAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #74524
HillaryClitTounge
Hillary Clittongue

Quote:
In this section South Carolina clearly outlines what pissed them off, mainly, unconstitutional attempts by the North to subvert the institution of slavery. I'm sure the rest of the Confederacy shared similar sentiments
The key word is 'unconstitutional'.
HillaryClitTounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #74525
HillaryClitTounge
Hillary Clittongue

Notice how it is only politically correct to go back in the past and criticize white people. You couldn't criticize a black man if their grandpa was a child molesting rapist serial killer, but if you had white ancestors that simply lived in the south during slavery, you are akin to a Hitler sympathizer.

Africa and Mexico were apparently sinless utopias without slavery throughout their existence until the white man showed up, according to Ando.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #74526
Lakes.
Master of Manboons

in before "b-but whites did it worse!"
Lakes. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #74527
Smokey D

Quote:
Africa and Mexico were apparently sinless utopias without slavery throughout their existence until the white man showed up, according to Ando.
nobody says or thinks this.

Quote:
So much for slavery not being an economic necessity.
it was economically beneficial for the plantation aristocracy, but it was not "necessary" in the sense that the work could not have been done by freed labour. like, you know, how it was following reconstruction.

Quote:
I said the war wasn't primarily over slavery, but thanks for posting a source that confirms what i've been saying.
what was it about if not slavery?

Quote:
Morality is relative you 'putz', all im saying is your morality makes you look like a complete fucking tool and a childish hypocrite, because we all know if you had to actually work in a farm to eat, you would choose to enslave people to. Its nice you think you are God's gift to the earth because you can open your mouth and form the words "I DON LIKE SLAVERY", but really you are just a self righteous tool who pats yourself on the back for simply existing in a better time than other people.
i don't believe that you think morality is truly relative, or at least you don't have the courage of your convictions. if you really do think morality is relative, you cannot complain about the immorality of (a) eating animals (b) the welfare state.

for what it's worth, i'm happy thinking i'm a better person than slaveholders.

Quote:
You still are having trouble with the concept of PAST VS PRESENT. I never said I endorse what the South did, im just saying the idea that the Civil War was fought primarily over slavery is ignorant as fuck, that slavery was not 1/1000th as bad as bleeding hearts like you make it out to be, and that desperate times called for desperate measures, and its not really surprising that humans treated each other like shit when they were dying at the average age of 25 if they could manage to not starve for that long. You need a reality check you snob.
(a) slavery is per se evil;
(b) plantation slavery was empirically brutal;
(c) what desperate times and why did that justify enslavement of 4 million people?
(d) the average life expectancy was not 25 and if you survived childhood, life expectancy was not that dissimilar to modern life expectancies

seems very strange to oppose using people as means rather than ends except when it's financially expedient not to

Last edited by Smokey D; 06-28-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Smokey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #74528
HillaryClitTounge
Hillary Clittongue

Um, the reconstruction era is supposed to prove slavery was not an economic necessity for the South? You realize that the south became mired in poverty after the civil war, when it was once an international economic powerhouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_Era#Material_devastation_of_the_Sou th_in_1865

"Per capita income for white southerners declined from $125 in 1857 to a low of $80 in 1879."

^^^clearly it wasn't just slave owners or 'the plantation aristocracy' that was hurt by ending slavery.

The war was about the federal government expanding its power past the limitations set by the Constitution, slavery was only one example of the federal government overstepping its authority.

Quote:
if you really do think morality is relative, you cannot complain about the immorality of (a) eating animals (b) the welfare state
. yeah, i can. Just because i understand how people arrive at many different moralities doesn't mean I endorse every single hypocritical/asinine form of morality like 'im such a good person, i frown when I read about slave owners and tell anyone who will hear ' i dont like slavery!', *crams burger in mouth*, donate to the welfare state that I profit from you evil white asshole'

slavery is not per se evil, what a dumb thing to say. Is a human owning a dog evil? Is slave labor in prisons evil? Is keeping a mentally ill patient restrained evil?

obviously not, and this is basically how people viewed blacks at the time, as animals who were better off in restraints. I mean i guess you could pat yourself on the back for knowing 'all humans are created equal' or 'the world is round' when in the past people thought it was flat and blacks were monkeys, but you just look like a self righteous douche by doing so.

It's like, we don't need a lecture about how smart you are for knowing the germ theory of disease every time you wash your hands. Theres certain things people take for granted in this day and age, IE 'slavery is BAD', its just only the douchey left who needs to go insinuating things about the ancestors of slave owners, or trying to tarnish the image of those in the past for doing what was common and seen as justified by God.

I never said slavery was justifiable, I just said its not impressive for some chicken necked ninny to act like you are superior to slave owners on that basis alone, because all you are doing is disregarding everything hard they had to go through, and how you didn't have to do jack shit to survive.

I notice you didn't have a response to how you constantly make excuses for why black people commit crimes when they live in poverty, but you can't seem to understand how white people would enslave people when they live in poverty. It's like you just conveniently forget what you were once arguing anytime it contradicts what you are arguing for now.

Last edited by HillaryClitTounge; Today at 01:22 AM.
Old Today, 03:43 PM   #74529
Ando!
classic ando

Quote:
slavery is not per se evil, what a dumb thing to say. Is a human owning a dog evil? Is slave labor in prisons evil? Is keeping a mentally ill patient restrained evil?
how on earth did you answer all of these questions "obviously not"
Ando! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #74530
HillaryClitTounge
Hillary Clittongue

because a human owning a dog is not evil, thats how