Old 04-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
adamdoyea

why does my amp hum so loud?

k, i had a solid state set-up before upgrading to a mesa dual rec.

i've had the mesa for a few weeks now and something has been bugging me about it from day 1. it hums pretty damn loud whenever it's on. is this just something that is normal with tube amps? i've borrowed equip live, and i see bands 2-3 times a week but i've never really noticed a humming this loud. (maybe i just disregard it since im' at the show and dont think about it?)

simple question: is my amp supposed to be humming at a moderately high volume when turned on? my roomate can hear the hum from across the house.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Ibanex0110
nowsmellyourhand

i have a similar problem. i have a mesa boogie triaxis...and i just recently got emg pickups put in my guitar. i had them installed by a tech, but it still buzzs kinda ridiculously loud.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Me!
What a beast

What are your gain settings? What guitar?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
sailseasofcheese
MX Carvinite

What are your settings? Some amps (especially tube amps) have some sort of hum associated with them. Depending on what settings you're using, it's probably you just not being used to the humming. If nothing else, you can just get a noise suppressor.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Epicurus
Colnel Angus

My single recto hummed abit when I first got it. Went away though. Your probably using to extreme settings.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
adamdoyea

thing is, even if i have my guitar & cable disconnected it's still humming, so it's not my guitar. (although the humming increases tremendously when i plug in my ****ty ibanez gax 75)

i've got the effects loop in the back both set to normal and up front i'm on channel 3/modern with the factory recommended settings that come with the manual.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Ibanex0110
nowsmellyourhand

my settings are pretty low gain wise for as much as it hums. it's on like 5 in the lead 1 red mode. the thing that gets me is that i'm pretty sure something isn't grounded right, cause when i touch my hand to the bridge, it gets alot quieter.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Aes820

It might be due to a noisy power supply.
Maybe you've got a heater, fan, TV, computer monitor, flouresent light, or something else on nearby that is causing the noise.

Turn off anything that may be causing the noise, and/or try your amp off a differnet power output somewhere else in the house. See if that makes a difference.

Also check to see that all the preamp tubes in your amp have got small round aluminium covers on them. Not having these can cause your amp to be noisy.

Ibanex0110:
Grounding. Yes, that could very well be a problem. If the power supply you are playing off isn't properly grounded it could be very noisy and even very dangerous.
Dont ever play your amp through an ungrounded power supply.

(And seeing that you have a triaxis, only turn it's power switch onto the 'lift' position if you are having problems with humming while it is on the 'ground' position).
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
emuellerx

i don't know all that much, but my when I asked my teacher about my amp humming he said a lot of times electronic devices are the culprit, especially like computer monitors (which unfortunately I have quite a few of)
Old 04-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Ibanex0110
nowsmellyourhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aes820
It might be due to a noisy power supply.
Maybe you've got a heater, fan, TV, computer monitor, flouresent light, or something else on nearby that is causing the noise.

Turn off anything that may be causing the noise, and/or try your amp off a differnet power output somewhere else in the house. See if that makes a difference.

Also check to see that all the preamp tubes in your amp have got small round aluminium covers on them. Not having these can cause your amp to be noisy.

Ibanex0110:
Grounding. Yes, that could very well be a problem. If the power supply you are playing off isn't properly grounded it could be very noisy and even very dangerous.
Dont ever play your amp through an ungrounded power supply.

(And seeing that you have a triaxis, only turn it's power switch onto the 'lift' position if you are having problems with humming while it is on the 'ground' position).
how do i turn it on "lift"? mine only has two positions....on...and off. it's a semi older version 2 i believe. my friend has a version 1, and it's the same. i guess i've only really noticed it being ungrounded was when we tried out for the school's talent show, other then that it seems to do fairly well.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
Sup, Goats?
Banned

That's because it's a high gain amp, man.