Old 01-17-2006, 03:19 AM   #301
JohnXDoesn't
Trolled off MX

Hey everyone. I just lurk here because I can't keep up with you people. But anyway, I was wondering what some of your impressions are of the Lakers right now. Any potential for the playoffs this season? Any potential at all with the current line-up? And if not, can any post All Star Game trades or deals be made to help 'em out? They frustrate me because I see potential, but they need a solid big man and a more productive and consistent forward. Some of the peices are in place for improvement I think, and they seem to have heart. But what exactly do they need so far as personel is concerned to get the job done (make the playoffs) and do they have room to aquire it?
JohnXDoesn't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #302
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

I think the limit to the Laker's potential would be the 8th seed. If they lose Kobe for any length of time then forget it. I think if they got Ron Artest that would put them right with the elite in the West. Though maybe not because it's almost certain that they'd have to give up Lamar Odom. I tell you what...I think that Andrew Bynum kid has potential. He did quite the fancy spin move on Shaq. But he's gonna need a couple years for experience and to boost up his confidence because it looks like that's his biggest enemy right now.

I'd also like to the Lakers get their hands on someone the likes of James Posey. (Maybe not I"d like to,I despise the Lakers) But like I said,any trade they make would probably have to inolve Odom,and that's not a good thing. I thought the trade rumor of Odom for Carlos Boozer last year was a good idea though.
Phobophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #303
HOTFORTEACHER
matter of splatter

The spurs could very well beat the pistons on any given night but it goes the other way as well. The pistons are the better team, hands down at this point of the season. You cant teach chemistry on a team and the pistons have the best chemistry. The pistons are built for a championship. Keep in mind that neither lindsey hunter who played a huge role of the bench in the 2004 championship and dale davis will be playing in the post season to give sheed and ben a break are playing. I may be a tad biased but ive seen every pistons game since 2001(give a take a couple). Ive seen them transform, players leaving and coming and the maturation process. This is a special team. I cant remember a team quite like this one ever. They are the definiton of a team and are more spread out than the spurs who RELY on duncan and ginobilli. The pistons hardly rely on anyone, they can win if rip gets 3 points, they can win if chancey gets 2 assits, they can win if ben gets 4 rebounds, they can win peroid. The only thing i can see stopping the detroit pistons from winning it all is injury. For a matter of fact none of thier players have gotten a seroius injurys at all. i cant remember a current piston being out for more than a few games besides hunter and delfino. They are a solid group and I really hope that at least three of them make the all star team. They deserved it, theyve strived in many game 7s on the road, overcome adversity, proven the haters wrong, and won the greatest achivement of them all. As for the record 72 wins, I dont know. I doubt it will happen but if it does great. They are 30-5 right now one of the best starts in nba history and are going strong. if detroit could pick up a solid bench player(a foward would be nice) I cant see them not making the promise land. Dont get me wrong the spurs are a great team but not as complete. On paper the spurs look leaps and bounds above detroit. Finley and van exel havent got comfortable. We will see. My two cents
HOTFORTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:37 PM   #304
HOTFORTEACHER
matter of splatter

As for the lakers; It seems like they are just kobe and a group of misfits. The whole team seems like theyre all small fowards and undersized. Some of thier players have showed promise, smush. I cant see tehm going anywhere right now. Playoffs?I doubt it. They arnt consistent enough and in the west playoff seats will be hard to come by.
HOTFORTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #305
Hababi
Serenity Now

Yeah it's basically more of what it was last year. The Lakers need to reformat; get rid of some of their wing players...Kwame Brown continues to be a dud...they should've drafted Roko Ukic...
Hababi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #306
Hababi
Serenity Now

I read that Orlando and Minnesota might be willing to deal to get Francis to a different team. So, how about:

Wally, Tskitishvili and Hassell for Francis and Pat Garrity
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #307
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilemma
I read that Orlando and Minnesota might be willing to deal to get Francis to a different team. So, how about:

Wally, Tskitishvili and Hassell for Francis and Pat Garrity
Ehhh maybe. I was about to say no but then I put it throug trade checker and I seen that Wally is averaging over 20 ppg. I had no idea. I think you defcinitely do the deal if Grant Hill is out for the rest of the year/retires. But otherwise I'd wait. I think that the Magic should hold onto Francis myself. As much of a pain he is,he's a great player to build around.

Also Minnesota is rumored to be in talks with Boston,Olowakandie for Mark Blount. So one overpriced center for another.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #308
Reaganista
ill be ur dog

Quote:
But otherwise I'd wait. I think that the Magic should hold onto Francis myself. As much of a pain he is,he's a great player to build around.
no way all Francis' being on the Magic is doing is taking minutes away from Jameer Nelson
Reaganista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #309
Hababi
Serenity Now

Quote:
no way all Francis' being on the Magic is doing is taking minutes away from Jameer Nelson
Yeah, right now this is a team with Howard and Nelson as the foundation. Francis is a distraction.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #310
Illmatic
John Hinckley is my hero

I'd do away with Brian Hill as well as Steve Francis, because the guy's offense has to be as boring to play in as it is to watch. Two guys dribbling on one side of the court while the other three stand around and watch? Dwight Howard being relegated to tip-ins and a few basic post-ups? Come on.
Illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #311
JohnXDoesn't
Trolled off MX

Thanks for the responses, guys. Illimatic I would like your opinion on the Lakers as well. What can they do this season? Any hope? What about next season? Can they build further? What do they need? I know you hate Phil, but try to be unbiased.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #312
Illmatic
John Hinckley is my hero

The key is getting Lamar Odom happy or getting talent/cap space in exchange for him.

At the current pace they're going they'll probably be a low seeded playoff team now that Phil has turned Kobe loose and decided to simply sit on his hands and wait for his paychecks (sorry, I had to say it :-\). The team is simply better when Kobe is taking every shot (and Kobe is happier that way), so they need to surround him with players who don't mind not shooting. In other words, they need to turn into the 21st century version of the Wilt Chamberlain-era Warriors.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #313
Hababi
Serenity Now

Quote:
At the current pace they're going they'll probably be a low seeded playoff team now that Phil has turned Kobe loose and decided to simply sit on his hands and wait for his paychecks (sorry, I had to say it :-\). The team is simply better when Kobe is taking every shot (and Kobe is happier that way), so they need to surround him with players who don't mind not shooting. In other words, they need to turn into the 21st century version of the Wilt Chamberlain-era Warriors.
Let's see:
PG Earl Watson
SG Kobe
SF Bruce Bowen
PF Malik Rose
C Adonal Foyle

Besides Bowen, those guys could be had, and it'd let Kobe take 50 shots a night
Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #314
bball_1523
1ycarip1noc9

davis suspended 5 games for protecting his wife= nba is a joke
bball_1523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #315
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_1523
davis suspended 5 games for protecting his wife= nba is a joke

Well there is more to it then that. He went into the stands. I agree that he deserved some leway for the situation but he still broke that 4th wall so it can't go completly unpunished. If I was the comish,I would have only suspended him one. But he can live with 5.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:53 PM   #316
robo2448
Get Back

meh, it'll let David Lee play more minutes. I think Antonio Davis is still a good player, and he provides a toughness that the Knicks have lacked since Oakley left, but I want to see more Lee.

If I were Antonio Davis, I would have done the exact same thing. Protecting family is much more important than the game, especially when you're on the Knicks and the games don't matter anyways.

Last edited by robo2448; 01-21-2006 at 11:34 AM.
robo2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #317
nitzguy
Ryan Scott Jihad..AH-lala

5 agmes is alot for what he did/ didn't do. maybe 2 games and a Dollar fine
nitzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #318
Sandtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmatic
The key is getting Lamar Odom happy or getting talent/cap space in exchange for him.

They either need to surround Kobe with players who dont mind him taking shots or get rid of Kobe. I understand how good he is, he is a very talented player, but I dont think it would be right to switch up your whole team just so that Kobe can take 100 shots and be happy. I think that guys is trouble, first the trouble with Shaq(not that I like him any better), this guy needs to understand some critical information about playing in the NBA...its a team sport. I would never want Kobe on my team, no matter what.
Sandtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #319
Illmatic
John Hinckley is my hero

81 points for Kobe Bryant.

Unbelievable.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #320
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

Quote:
81 points for Kobe Bryant.

Unbelievable.

Wow,just wow. 2nd best single scoring output in NBA history. Witnessing history in the making my friends.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #321
bball_1523
1ycarip1noc9

I saw half the game, and I was shocked that kobe scored 81. I wish the raps would've won, but seeing that it was the raps, I could care less now. I'll give a thumbs up to kobe for an insane performance, but will always keep a thumbs down on the lakers. Let's see how he does against pistons next week sunday.
bball_1523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #322
Illmatic
John Hinckley is my hero

I (unfortunately) didn't get to see the game but I wish I have. He must have been on.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #323
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

Quote:
I (unfortunately) didn't get to see the game but I wish I have. He must have been on.

Nor did I,I just seen Espnews highlights. In-tense.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #324
Illmatic
John Hinckley is my hero

And no one seems to notice this :-\

c'mon, there is a Super Bowl every year. How many times does someone score 80 points in an NBA game?

Tonight, and Wilt over 40 years ago (during his 100 point game).
Old 01-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #325
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

Last game that even came close to this in recent history was that David Robinson 71 point game. But wait...that doesn't even come close...
Old 01-23-2006, 02:49 AM   #326
badtaste

Kobe Bryant = mega tightarse.

There's a slight touch of sarcasm in that previous sentence.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:34 AM   #327
manuscriptreplica
Chef's Knife

Location: 45 mins ago I was just a strummer. Now I feel like Clapton. No Joke
the best thing about this is that he wasn't shooting for the scoring title. Both Robinson and Thompson scored their 70 point games on the last day of the season in a blatant attempt to secure the title... kobe didnt. This is the 2nd time he's gone nuts (the 61 points in 3 quarters could of been 80) so it's good to see it just wasnt a fluke.

Bryant for mvp.

And he got 2 assists too. amazing.
manuscriptreplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #328
JohnXDoesn't
Trolled off MX

Kobe.

C'mon Lakers. I still have hope.....
Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #329
Hababi
Serenity Now

Can Kobe reach 100? Hey, he's working his way up that way this season...Ok, the guy can score [/understatement].
Old 01-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #330
Phobophile
ex-Da Machine

Jordan never scored 81...