Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #61
Yield
Registered Abuser

I'm reading right now Ecce Homo and Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen. I also found the time to finish The Communist Manifesto while actually understanding everything. I had it for a year, and I hadn't been able to read it.
Yield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:26 AM   #62
Surf
SERF

Dubliners.
God I love Joyce's writing.

Last week I read The Importance of Being Earnest, which was good, but
companies make too much of the inneuendo whilst performing it. Just because Wilde was gay doesn't make everything a sex joke. Talk about coping mechanisms.

Week before that it was Jane Eyre again. 's good, but not really my thing.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #63
Apocalyptic Raids
on some olympic ****

last book I read was Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. It was pretty good I guess.
Apocalyptic Raids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #64
AlienEater
pathetic whiner

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy.
AlienEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #65
pitchfork
Beerman

Gregory bateson: Mind and nature

Brilliant read if you like philosphy.
pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #66
trentlogain

stephen king - on writing
trentlogain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #67
AlienEater
pathetic whiner

I am currently reading the Castle by Franz Kafka. I am enjoying it
Old 03-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #68
Kage
Komitet Gosudarstvennoy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentlogain View Post
stephen king - on writing
That's a good one.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #69
pitchfork
Beerman

^agreed
Thats the only book of his i've read and I did enjoy it.
pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #70
badtaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
^agreed
read that as well. Ever tried 'It' or 'The Stand'? They're his longer books, but worth well it. If so or if not, ever read Danse Macabre? read that a long time ago, can barely remember much of it, but I think it was a good NF read by SK.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #71
Jawaharal
whats that smell like

It is such a good book.

Last book I read was Fight Club. Liked it quite a bit.
Jawaharal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #72
Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
^agreed
Yep, same here. I tried to read a few of his books like The Stand, Carrie and Christine. Never could get halfway through them. I haven't tried in several years, maybe I should pick one up sometime soon.

It doesn't help that so many of his books have been made into movies which I have seen. I hate trying to read a book after seeing it's film adaptation because then I see the actors from the movie rather than building my own characters in my mind from the story. Annoying.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #73
badtaste

'Do Androids dream of electric sheep' by Philip K. Dick.

Just finished 'Do Androids dream of electric sheep' by Philip K. Dick. Most of you will be aware that this novel was the turned into 'Blade Runner' by Ripley Scott (starring Harrison Ford).

First of all, I should admit that I saw the film before I read the book and that because of that, my view of the book may not be as complimentary as my views to the film. Sorta unfair though, because Dick’s version is THE version, while ‘Blade Runner’ feeds off Dick’s ideas.

I thought it was a bit overcomplicated. Almost at the same time, it’s a little too simple as well. Overcomplicated with all the ideas and concepts that Dick portrays in his dystopia. Too simple because the story isn’t milked well enough. For example, Deckard’s retirement of the androids are the most uninteresting things you could ever read. Perhaps though, Dick had no value or importance placed on the action (as the film would do). The plot leads us through various places in a very unnatural motion. Reading the book feels like a disjointed adventure.

Dick has done well in addressing the various issues that it does explore (too lengthy to list here), but does not explore it in a logical manner. Basically, the book wasn’t a smooth ride.I feel the film did a better job of both addressing the themes as well as providing a well balanced dose of action and thriller elements (Then again, they are both fairly different now that I think about it).

Then again, maybe the content is just too much for me (I blame Blade Runner for giving me a skewed perspective). I'm going to try review this again when my mind is clear.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 AM   #74
Incognito
MX Apparition

Fifth Business - Robertson Davies

This is actually a book I read in high school for an english class and enjoyed it. It's part 1 of what is known as the "deptford" trilogy. I always meant to read them, but basically forgot about them. A little while ago I saw my sister reading this book for school as well and went out and purchased the trilogy. I wont say anything about the book, I can't do it justice. All I can say is

10/10

One of my favs.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #75
dUSK
I drink through the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Raids View Post
last book I read was Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. It was pretty good I guess.
I finished reading the 4 Dan Brown books around a fortnight ago. Started with The Da Vinci Code, thinking it would be overrated, but I got hooked and had to read the rest of his stuff. Great stuff.

I finished reading Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire last week. Overall, it was pretty good, though I found I got a little bored in places and my mind didn't really take those portions of the book in as it should have. Regardless, I intend on starting The Vampire Lestat at some point tonight.
dUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #76
JumpTheF**kUp
Dreamweaver

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

I had to read it for English lit and I can see why it was put in the english lit course. It's ridiculously hard to keep paying attention, although it really is a great book once you're done reading it. Really, really hard to analyse though.

I'm about halfway through Deception Point atm and it's starting to get kind of boring.

The Godfather is my favourite book ever, and Matthew Reilly's novels aren't far behind.
JumpTheF**kUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #77
dUSK
I drink through the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpTheF**kUp View Post
I'm about halfway through Deception Point atm and it's starting to get kind of boring.
That was my least favourite of the four. My housemate and her boyfriend both claim it's his best though, so I guess it's all down to personal opinion. The two with a religious aspect to the story are the ones that I found most interesting.
dUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #78
JumpTheF**kUp
Dreamweaver

I only really like Angels and Demons. The Da Vinci Code was kind of convoluted with fact and everything, whereas Angels and Demons just rocked.
JumpTheF**kUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #79
3rdplanet
the-brights.net/

I Am A Cat - Natsume Soseki

I would have to guess some part of the author's social commentary is lost on me as I have practically zero knowledge of and no experience of Japanese culture or pre-1910 history. Infact, I would go so far to say that all of the specific points went sailing over my head. Yet all the characters are entertaining and understandable: from the drab middle school teacher Sneaze to the ferocious buisness man Suzuki, the flamboyant and rude socialite Waverhouse to the put upon house wife Mrs. Sneaze. They all fall under the scrutiny of the nameless pet cat of Sneaze's who can't help but point out all the ridiculous goings on of human life.

Yeah twas a good book leek.

Am reading Balzac's Old Goriot right now, alongside a bit of Beyond Good and Evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpTheF**kUp View Post
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

I had to read it for English lit and I can see why it was put in the english lit course. It's ridiculously hard to keep paying attention, although it really is a great book once you're done reading it. Really, really hard to analyse though.
Heart of Darkness is a bastard...although I agree it is good.
3rdplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #80
Livin n a Cage in the USA
Halloween Every Other Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Yep, same here. I tried to read a few of his books like The Stand, Carrie and Christine. Never could get halfway through them. I haven't tried in several years, maybe I should pick one up sometime soon.

It doesn't help that so many of his books have been made into movies which I have seen. I hate trying to read a book after seeing it's film adaptation because then I see the actors from the movie rather than building my own characters in my mind from the story. Annoying.
Plus the movies are so much worse than the books.
Livin n a Cage in the USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #81
AlienEater
pathetic whiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtaste View Post
'Do Androids dream of electric sheep' by Philip K. Dick.
I liked that book, Dick is a great writer
Old 03-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #82
badtaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienEater View Post
I liked that book, Dick is a great writer
Good book, but I'm still really confused about it. Still don't understand Mercerism and its role in the book.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #83
cpmsmiley
SLASH

Blues guitar for Dummies
haha
cpmsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #84
Jude
62 god damn years

"Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. It's about the life story of the Wicked Witch of the West. He turns the goofy little fairy-tale world of Oz into a dead-serious fantasy realm with evil secret police and stuff like that. It's full of overt and rather unnecessary sexual and genital references too. Very good story though. I finished it in two days because it was one of those ones you can't put down, although it helped that I was sick and had nothing better to do.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #85
badtaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmsmiley View Post
Blues guitar for Dummies
haha
C'mon lads and gals, post some thought action. As I said in the original post, Non fiction is fine!! If you have read such a book, tell us if it's any good for teaching blues guitar! Tell us if you would recommend it! TELL THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT TO KNOW!!!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #86
-Listy-
Winning

probably Dracula by Bram Stoker (doesnt need an explanation) for school.

I enjoyed it.
-Listy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #87
lawlstorm
:)

Angela's Ashes for school. Not too bad, i've read worse. The writing style kind of annoyed me though
lawlstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #88
badtaste

Principles of Microeconomics

Reading it for my introductory microeconomics class at university. Nice big book full of juicy microeconomics. To those unfamiliar with microeconomics, basically looks 'how individuals, households, and firms make decisions to allocate limited resources' as opposed to larger institutions or nations and how they handle money.

All theory work right now. Lectures are bloody boring. Don't recommend the book, unless you're willing to learn or you if it's a required text book.

0/10.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 AM   #89
mish_a7x
karl likes to party

Black Notice - Patrica Cornwell

Idk i have mixed opinions about this book. On one hand i enjoyed it, however i think compared to her other novels featuring Dr Kay Scarpetta and other crime thriller authors, it failed. The plot was easy to follow but not as racing as some of the others have been. I didn't really get the 'omgz i must read another page or 300' that i usually get when i read. I wouldn't recomment this to anyone who hadn't read her earlier work.

Next: Ian Rankin: A Question of Blood
mish_a7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #90
RunAmokRampant
Planeteer 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Listy- View Post
probably Dracula by Bram Stoker (doesnt need an explanation) for school.

I enjoyed it.
How long did it take you to read it? I found it a slow gruelling read but thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably because of its narrative structure which makes it a tougher read.
RunAmokRampant is offline   Reply With Quote