Old 04-16-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Chippy569
MXDP: The New Pit

Tama Stagestar

Thought I'd finally throw in my review of my baby.

[url=http://tama.com/drums/tama_link.asp?page=http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/products/drum_kit/stagestar/index.html]Tama Stagestar[/url] 5pc.

Drums
-8mm, 9-ply cheap mahogany shells.
-10x8", 12x8" rack toms
-14x12" floor tom
-18x14" bass drum
-steel 13x5" snare

Personally, I love the little kick drum. It is about the least ringy little POP! of a drum i've ever heard. If you double bass a lot, every single hit will come out amazing on this lil' guy! I actually don't mind the high and floor toms, they're pretty alright. They tune pretty alright. The mid tom is too shallow for my tastes, though. I can't seem to get it to sound right! AHH! i want to throw it sometimes.
The lugs on these drums are just fine, but the bass and snare could use another 2 sets of lugs... there's only 6 lugs per head on the snare and bass! if it had 8, these drums would be AMAZING.
The snare is not my favorite, but I like the size. The strainer switch tends to get jammed, though, so you might want to replace it if you do a lot of snare on/off switching.
The stock heads are definitely not great, but they don't suck either. better than protones! the bass batter is nice, but i broke mine. (stupid plastic beater! never again.)
The wraps are pretty easily removed, there's just a 1.5" strip of tape on both ends. the only trouble spot are the vents, which do NOT want to come out. ever.

Hardware
The hardware that comes with this set is specially designed to be set LOW. it lives up to tama's reputation of being strong, tho!
The snare stand is designed to sit, at it's lowest point, about 2 inches lower than, say, a roadpro stand. the basket is designed for 13" snares ONLY, so... if you plan on upgrading your snare to a 14" you'll need a new stand as well.
The bass pedal is what you'd expect from a standard kit. I actually think it's kinda cool how they compacted stuff slightly and shrunk the tower to compensate for the 18" bass... no risers necessary here! the pedal is actually pretty ok... i'd switch the beater out tho. it's a very soft felt round beater... which is not the preferred sound of rockers like myself!
The one straight stand is pretty dependable... double braced. the tilter is really small... the cymbal thread is 8mm and the cymbal mates etc. work just dandy! new felts might be somewhere on your priority list, but near the bottom. they fall apart quick. It sets very very low, up to quite high. I set mine middle tube lowest it goes and 2nd tube up maybe 2 inches for my ride cymbal, and it's still lower than my hats. i love this lil' stand!
The hi hat stand is pretty... okay. The FIRST thing i would switch out on this kit is the clutch. The original clutch has no locking mechanism to it, just a little washer and bolt that quickly comes loose. I bought a cobra clutch for $20 and it holds like gorilla glue now! HOWEVER the 3 double-braced legs rotate, so if you want a double pedal it'll fit right in. the spring in it is pretty cheap but not terrible... no squeaks!
Cymbals are cymbals, and these are bottom of the barrel. Mine are currently wall decorations! the hats bend within like 10 hits and the crash dissolves to nothing after 1 groove juicing!

well how bout some ratings:
Pros
-COMPACT size. there is a pic of some guy riding in a taxi with his drums in the back seat with him? Yes, you can do that.
-Decent hardware - better than you'd expect!
-Pretty alright sound - i wouldn't really gig with them, but perfect for like a practice/starter kit.
-EASY TO REFINISH! WOO!
Cons
-CRAPPY hi hat clutch
-Only one cymbal stand
-Snare and bass don't have enough lugs
-all the cons that come with being a junior set (cymbals, heads, quality, etc.)

my baby!
Chippy569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Seafroggys
Truffula Hugger

Heh, where does this place with the other sets in Tama?

Also, love that refinishing job. Y'know, you could get away reselling it and making a profit....rare, especially since the resale rate of lower end sets is about 50%.
Seafroggys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
-TheGlassPrison-

Great Review
Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
Chippy569
MXDP: The New Pit

thanks guys.

in the heirchy of tama? this thing is dead last.

and i'll sell it to you for 400.
Chippy569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
gyanmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy569 View Post
Thought I'd finally throw in my review of my baby.

[url=http://tama.com/drums/tama_link.asp?page=http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/products/drum_kit/stagestar/index.html]Tama Stagestar[/url] 5pc.

Drums
-8mm, 9-ply cheap mahogany shells.
-10x8", 12x8" rack toms
-14x12" floor tom
-18x14" bass drum
-steel 13x5" snare

Personally, I love the little kick drum. It is about the least ringy little POP! of a drum i've ever heard. If you double bass a lot, every single hit will come out amazing on this lil' guy! I actually don't mind the high and floor toms, they're pretty alright. They tune pretty alright. The mid tom is too shallow for my tastes, though. I can't seem to get it to sound right! AHH! i want to throw it sometimes.
The lugs on these drums are just fine, but the bass and snare could use another 2 sets of lugs... there's only 6 lugs per head on the snare and bass! if it had 8, these drums would be AMAZING.
The snare is not my favorite, but I like the size. The strainer switch tends to get jammed, though, so you might want to replace it if you do a lot of snare on/off switching.
The stock heads are definitely not great, but they don't suck either. better than protones! the bass batter is nice, but i broke mine. (stupid plastic beater! never again.)
The wraps are pretty easily removed, there's just a 1.5" strip of tape on both ends. the only trouble spot are the vents, which do NOT want to come out. ever.

Hardware
The hardware that comes with this set is specially designed to be set LOW. it lives up to tama's reputation of being strong, tho!
The snare stand is designed to sit, at it's lowest point, about 2 inches lower than, say, a roadpro stand. the basket is designed for 13" snares ONLY, so... if you plan on upgrading your snare to a 14" you'll need a new stand as well.
The bass pedal is what you'd expect from a standard kit. I actually think it's kinda cool how they compacted stuff slightly and shrunk the tower to compensate for the 18" bass... no risers necessary here! the pedal is actually pretty ok... i'd switch the beater out tho. it's a very soft felt round beater... which is not the preferred sound of rockers like myself!
The one straight stand is pretty dependable... double braced. the tilter is really small... the cymbal thread is 8mm and the cymbal mates etc. work just dandy! new felts might be somewhere on your priority list, but near the bottom. they fall apart quick. It sets very very low, up to quite high. I set mine middle tube lowest it goes and 2nd tube up maybe 2 inches for my ride cymbal, and it's still lower than my hats. i love this lil' stand!
The hi hat stand is pretty... okay. The FIRST thing i would switch out on this kit is the clutch. The original clutch has no locking mechanism to it, just a little washer and bolt that quickly comes loose. I bought a cobra clutch for $20 and it holds like gorilla glue now! HOWEVER the 3 double-braced legs rotate, so if you want a double pedal it'll fit right in. the spring in it is pretty cheap but not terrible... no squeaks!
Cymbals are cymbals, and these are bottom of the barrel. Mine are currently wall decorations! the hats bend within like 10 hits and the crash dissolves to nothing after 1 groove juicing!

well how bout some ratings:
Pros
-COMPACT size. there is a pic of some guy riding in a taxi with his drums in the back seat with him? Yes, you can do that.
-Decent hardware - better than you'd expect!
-Pretty alright sound - i wouldn't really gig with them, but perfect for like a practice/starter kit.
-EASY TO REFINISH! WOO!
Cons
-CRAPPY hi hat clutch
-Only one cymbal stand
-Snare and bass don't have enough lugs
-all the cons that come with being a junior set (cymbals, heads, quality, etc.)

my baby!
Hi Chippy596,
Could u please tell, from where I can get Cobra cluth for $20. I see it on website as $120

Many Thanks
Regards
Gyan
gyanmusic is offline   Reply With Quote