Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #212
Sanders
Sir Mx-a-Lot

I chuckled
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #213
Consanguinity
Blowjobs/Cunnilingus-Spc.

who actually thought when they saw that all the music forums were gone that mx must have fallen on hard times, like i did?
Consanguinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #214
mx
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf™ View Post
wow, even more to come? make sure to take a break from all this hard work jeremy, don't burn yourself out
hugs and kisses
mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #215
sweboy
YES HELLO

i believe in you big j, don't listen to the haters
sweboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #216
Sanders
Sir Mx-a-Lot

i believe in you big j, don't listen to the haters [2]
Old 07-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #217
mx platinum

i don't believe in him, there's no evidence of his existence
32235714839477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #218
Sanders
Sir Mx-a-Lot

CHAD!

Don't you know that every time you say "I don't believe in mx" one of them dies?!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #219
geddylee2
Banned

ron doesnt support change
geddylee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #220
Against All Authority
mk ix

so, maybe a change would be to add a span filter on the music board

or add a little sticky to the mod console reminding them that they might want to check for single post threads in there
Against All Authority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #221
Stig Caraveo
████████████ ████████████

Sputnikmusic music & musician forums needs:
1) a spam filter, and an active pit mod
2) organized community things like short story competitions and music collaborations that people participate in
3) a pay-to-post system
Stig Caraveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #222
Stig Caraveo

Either that or a "get-paid-to-post" system. We could bring back rep, and posters will be penalized and fined for poor-quality posts and rewarded (with the money collected via those fines) for high-quality posts. Either way, and I think I speak for everyone on this, it's been clear for a long time that our posts need to be monetized in some way.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #223
Stig Caraveo

We need a Sputnikmusic app for Google Glass. Also, each poster should be required to publicly link their forum profile with their Facebook profile and the email that they use most frequently. Your avatar will henceforth be a standard, passport-sized photo of your face.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #224
Stig Caraveo

Or just let it die. I'm not sure I buy your reasoning for deleting almost every subforum that could have targeted a niche. I don't think anyone will be drawn to the message boards when it's just some vague "community" that has nothing to distinguish it from other message boards except for how slow and spammy it is considering that it's attached to a fairly well-read music criticism site.

What you need to focus on is making people actually want to post, because obviously now hardly anybody does. This makes it hard for you to find a mod who would actually consistently clean things up, and also negatively feeds back into itself by discouraging people from joining what looks like a dead community.

The way I see it, two things make people want to contribute to an online forum 1) social affirmation of their contributions (via rep and up-voting and things like that), which is annoying, and 2) making it inherently fun to take part in the community. That's why I suggested writing and music competitions. Some online games are also fun (I think we used to play Miniclip golf). I don't know how you could actually encourage this kind of thing, but maybe if you really care you should think of a way.

It's likely that it's hopeless and the forums will never be popular because they're slow, they don't target anyone in particular, the review site itself isn't very renowned or innovative, and we don't have the up-voting system that makes sad needy people flock to sites like Reddit. Maybe that's okay.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #225
Stig Caraveo

Also I agree with this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJim View Post
2.)Increase the max avatar size by enough that people don't assume this forum is dead(er) than it is due to the 10 year old maximum size limits.

4.)Discourage bullying newbs and unban previously grudge-banned accounts such as Mappy's and Blockhead's and even Tronn and Jaylink.

5.)Implement more of the BBcode functionality as seen on sites like SomethingAwful and what have you
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers mccoy View Post
the forums as a whole will never be what they were (which wouldn't be particularly desirable anyway) without stronger content on the main site, focussed as it once was on a constructive approach to the subject rather than a poorly-regulated critical one
Also, I don't mean to be a dick, but the actual layout of the main site is ugly, cluttered, and looks haphazardly pasted together. That can play a huge role in whether people ever come to the site. The "music news" column on the right side looks spammy. The font needs to be changed. The blurbs that go with each album should be more prominent, and the new featured albums should take up more space on the page and be accompanied with their ratings. The bordering empty space gives all of the content an uncomfortable floating feeling. There needs to be more content that isn't just tiny text next to tiny pictures! It should fill up the page. This would make it all look much more lively.

Most importantly, I think that the communal aspect of sputnikmusic should be played up, since that's really the only thing that clearly differentiates it from most other music sites. The "popular albums list," and other indications of collective involvement, should be made more prominent. "User reviews" and "staff reviews" should both be headers - right now user reviews are buried. This is also a gateway for people coming to the message boards, if that is a priority.

Some other suggestions: News can be incorporated with reviews on the main page, and be accompanied by pictures. That's the purpose of headers, so that if people want to look at more specific things they can. Why aren't any letters capitalized? The Login box should take up way way less area on the page. It could just be an isolated header (ie, above the "Find a Band" thing) that opens up into a box, and it should be called "Users Login" or something cause when I see a huge login box on the main page my first thought is that at least some part of the site can't be accessed without an account. The "new comments" list is odd, and looks sort of like a list of downloads on a file-sharing site.

The layout looks much better when you actually click on a review, mainly because there are fewer separate sections crammed full of small words all competing for your attention in the same area of the page. Though I would still change the color of the bordering space and background, and definitely change the font. The distribution graph of user reviews is a cool touch, and more stuff like that should be incorporated on the main page.

I think the problem is that the main page harkens back to when all a website had to do was organize content in a way that someone could access it and understand and communicate about it. Now looking at a website has to be an experience in itself. It isn't enough to organize content into a perfectly-delineated grid of rectangular lists.

Last edited by Stig Caraveo; 10-25-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 AM   #226
Stig Caraveo

Here's some examples of more aesthetically-pleasing music review websites

http://drownedinsound.com
http://www.allmusic.com/
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/ (also cluttered but still more lively looking)

I really do think that, if you improved the page's look to compete with other review websites, and still kept the focus on the fact that users can contribute to the reviewing process, this site would become much more popular.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #227
Ando!
classic ando

saying blockhead was only banned because of a "grudge" is pretty dumb imo
Ando! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #228
Stig Caraveo

I was just agreeing with the general idea. It's uninviting having a ton of banned accounts littering old threads. It's also pointless in cases where the person has either died (like tronn and jaylink) or currently active in a new account (like me and probably most other users).

Blockhead can be IP banned for all I care. If you look at forums that are actually popular and not full of shitty terrible people, acting the way blockhead does generally isn't tolerated.

Last edited by Stig Caraveo; 10-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #229
The_Berzerker
Love my big booty cutie

Tronn and jaylink are dead?
The_Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #230
Against All Authority
mk ix

i miss sam and tronn and tway and so many more. but they left without little feeling for those theft behind. they headed for the big bright lights and left us in the valley of the green and the grey
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #231
Consanguinity

You could start all that off by unbanning Volumnius Flush.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #232
Against All Authority
mk ix

yes, lets make it quick and painless
Old 10-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #233
Consanguinity

thanks for your support, old buddy old chap.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #234
Against All Authority
mk ix

you will be welcomed with open arms once you repent and leave disneyworld behind
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #235
Consanguinity

if i leave, can i at least bring my stuffed snow white along? it's kind of like a stuffed animal but instead, it's a stuff snow white.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #236
Against All Authority
mk ix

you can bring whatever you please son
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #237
Against All Authority
mk ix

shall i put the pig on the spit?