Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #31
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

Funny, none of our local stores even carry remo, let alone Aquarian
Old 09-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #32
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

What do they stock?

I would rather buy my heads off the drum when getting a new set. I want to break them in from point zero right out of the box myself.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #33
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

Evans. That's about it, from what i recall.

Which is fine, because that's my preffered brand anyway
Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #34
Seafroggys
Truffula Hugger

Remo fanboy here. Although I never found anything wrong with Evans or Aquarian, really. One of these days I'll jump off my fanboyism and put a Super Kick II on my bass drum.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #35
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

Same here

I've tried em all and always go back to Remos. Lots more ring and less "plastic" click sounds
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #36
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

My point was, my local drum store is also Gurus local drum store.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
Vinnie's Ice Cream
You want some ice cream!?

All that aside. Still a silly head choice for showing off your fancy product.

But as I like to say, with all things musical, if it really is that great - it'll take off. If it isn't, then it'll just fade away.

Given the history of radial bridge drum designs, the odds are not in the favor of Guru by any means.

Again, I'd like to see an A/B test of the same or comparable size drums of the high end. I'm sick of advertising. It's really the only true way to put the product up to an industry test.
Just put up or shut up.

Take a couple toms and kick, same sizes, use the same heads, hell use one of those stupid tension watches to make the tension the same. Smack em both. Record the results.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #38
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie's Ice Cream View Post
All that aside. Still a silly head choice for showing off your fancy product.

Given the history of radial bridge drum designs, the odds are not in the favor of Guru by any means.
I dont see how wanting to test them to see which head will sound the best on their drums is silly considering how much different heads can add or subtract from the sound.

As for the history of the radial drums, they having been doing quite well, Whitney has been selling a radial drum for a long time and the Pearl free floating snare has also sold well, the Peavey radials sold very well in the last several years of production until disagreements between Hartley Peavey and the inventor Steven Volpp caused them to part ways and cease production. Guru and BW are both getting substantial orders already so I think they are both gonna do just fine.

Like I have said many times, when I bought my radials I already owned a set of Tama rockstars, Pearl masters and Yamaha MCAs and I had sold my rockstars to get another set of drums so I would still have 3 sets, one for home, one for gigging and one for the rehearsal space. When I got to the store they had another set of both the Yamahas and the Pearls plus a set of maple DW's and the Radials, at the time I never even heard of them or tried them and after trying all the others was going to get the MCAs but the guy told me if I am gonna shell out that kinda cash I should give the radials a go too, they were by far the best sounding drums in the store and I had to go back and try them on 3 or 4 different occasions to be absolutely sure of what I was hearing before buying them. I eventually went with what my ears told me and bought them and ended up selling my other 2 kits because I ended up using the radials for everything.

BTW using a tension watch would not be make it a fair A/B test, as what would be tuned to their sweet spot for one drum may not be the sweet spot for another, and certain drums may even like different heads as well.

The Gurus will be at the London drum show for anyone that is going they can try them and anyone around the Michigan area can slip over to Boogie Woodie and try the new radials as well. Keep in mind the BW's are a ultra thin 2.3 mmm ply shell drum like the original radials where as the Gurus are either stave or steam bent and the price is gonna reflect that fact. Plus I know about 300 radial pro owners and if anyone really wants to try them I am sure I can find someone near you that owns a set that would let to try them so you can see for yourself how much of a difference there really is when you remove all the stress, holes, lugs and mounting brackets from the actual shell itself.

Last edited by tard; 09-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
StrikerPro1000
mx newbie

Man I like these drum too
I agree the RIMS mounts are the best but I do like the World max floor tom mounts !
Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #40
Vinnie's Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I dont see how wanting to test them to see which head will sound the best on their drums is silly considering how much different heads can add or subtract from the sound. all the stress, holes, lugs and mounting brackets from the actual shell itself.

Wow dude. Reading comprehension much?

A/B test AGAINST OTHER DRUMS.

Drum A vs Drum B.

Hahaha tooo fucking funny.

Stick one of those Guru toms with the same heads, tuning and size next to a PHX tom. Smack both. Let the listener decide.

Everything else is marketing BS.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #41
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, your the one with the problem.

Your comment:
Quote:
Still a silly head choice for showing off your fancy product.
My reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I dont see how wanting to test them to see which head will sound the best on their drums is silly considering how much different heads can add or subtract from the sound.
Your comment had nothing to do with A/B testing drums, so Yeh, really too fucking funny. As always , you trying to back pedal after getting proved wrong yet again...lol

BTW I forgot to mention earlier that the favorite heads that Whitney drum company tested was Aquarian, funny that all the radial type drum companies seem to lean toward Aquarian, even the Peavey's came with them, and I doubt its a coincidence, I mean assembly line drums come with whatever they can get the best deal on knowing people will change them to their fav head anyway but these custom/boutique companies would want them going out sounding the very best they can make them regardless of the difference in price of a head, right?

As for the A/B testing comment my reply to that was my experience A/B testing DW, Pearl masters and Yamaha MCA against the radials in 1999.

As for your ply PHX yes they sound very good and are somewhat close to the sound that a 19 year old ply Radial design gets (just imagine how good that PHX shell would sound with no holes or mounts or stress) but neither are going to hold a candle to the sound the stave and steam bent shell Gurus will get. Come on now, apples to apples , oranges to oranges, your trying to compare a Chevy to a Ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerPro1000 View Post
Man I like these drum too
I agree the RIMS mounts are the best but I do like the World max floor tom mounts !
Me too, I put a worldmax 3 leg cradle on my 16, the alloy Guager's are too expensive and didnt match the old ones. I think Guager decided to patent the new alloy "RIMS" mount and drop the old ones considering there are about 4 or 5 different companies that make the chrome ones now.

Last edited by tard; 09-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #42
tard
The Ugly Duckling

From Drummerworld:

(Q) I may be wrong but as I recall in a different thread from a while back you were planning on doing a compare between Aquarian and Evans.

(A) On this kit (Classic), absolutely without doubt, the Aquarian modern vintage heads are the ones to go for. I tried a couple of Evans classic combo's, & although good, they didn't come even close to the Aquarian heads.

The performance range kit will stay with Aquarian super II on the batter, classic clear on the reso of the toms. Superkick II on the bass drum batter, 10mil single ply Force reso.

The custom kit, I'm not decided on yet. Probably go Evans, but undecided between a G2/G1 clear combo, or G+/G1 clear combo.

Edit:
Aquarian a silly choice? I guess not! But I have known this for years as Aquarian has be my choice of heads for many many years, nothing ever sounded as good on my MCA's, Master's or Rockstars it was just a bonus when the Radials already came with them stock.

Last edited by tard; 10-08-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #43
Vinnie's Ice Cream

I don't even have to see what his post says!

Whatever you have to say. Nobody cares. And you have made no point what so ever.
With the sole exception of proving that you are a ridicules fan point that very obviously can never let anything go.

Like I said so many times, if these drums you love are so great... I'm sure we'll see them out selling conventional drum designs very soon.

It's only been like 20 years already... hahaha
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #44
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Quote:
Like I said so many times, if these drums you love are so great... I'm sure we'll see them out selling conventional drum designs very soon.

It's only been like 20 years already... hahaha
Yep, for sure and with that reasoning Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini should out sell Chev, Ford Dodge.

Last edited by tard; 11-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Guru's new bass drum pedal mount, hooks over the end of the lugs to secure the pedal without damaging the hoop mounted on one of the steam bent kits.

Last edited by tard; 11-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #46
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Some pics and clips from the London drum show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Me0gBUGTo&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRoWFHjyhRQ&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Last edited by tard; 10-15-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
Aaron
Max Headroom

Those mounts are too big for my taste.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #48
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

The whole thing is over engineered

The double hoop look really kills it for me. Looks like a hoop glued to a hoop slapped together. It's got a case of DW disease where you see more hardware than drums!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #49
Aaron
Max Headroom

I think they could be awesome to be honest but they need refining.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #50
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs Carrot View Post
The whole thing is over engineered

The double hoop look really kills it for me. Looks like a hoop glued to a hoop slapped together. It's got a case of DW disease where you see more hardware than drums!
Funny thing, the S hoops was about the only thing Vinnie liked...lol

They have 3 models is this design, the Origin performance which has stave shells and S hoops, the Orgin classic which has steam bent shells and wood hoops then the Origin custom that you can have built whatever way you want which is why they have extra accessories to show this.

BTW out of all the isolation mounting systems they tried the Gauger rims choked the drum the least.

Here is a link to an interview with Gary Gauger from Drummer Cafe, very informative when they talk about why they changed to alloy from steel and also about how big band drummers worry more about the sound than the looks.

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/interview-with-gary-gauger.html

Last edited by tard; 10-17-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #51
Vinnie's Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I think they could be awesome to be honest but they need refining.
Ya, 20 years hasn't been enough...

If the products that great, so amazing and such. Then it'll blow "conventional" drums away and take over the market.

Products that truly are better, take over very quickly. Others often end up "As Seen On TV".
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #52
Steffanwolf

Well, I really like the grain.. Overall it looks too busy for me though. I like simple.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #53
Vinnie's Ice Cream

Is Guru going to be at NAMM?

Wow though come on guys...

This is the most ugly use of a Hex rack I've yet to see. You have these drums that are "NO HARDWARE" and you surround them with 5x as much hardware then you need for mounting?!

Not to mention the HUGE mounting hardware. Where's the small tom? I just see metal everywhere.

What could be a good design, and probably great sounding drums, is once again ruined by peoples obsession with shiny stuff.

Just looking at that picture is stupid. You've tried to make the drums be as hardware free as possible... and then you set up this?! WOW.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #54
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Quote:
Ya, 20 years hasn't been enough...

If the products that great, so amazing and such. Then it'll blow "conventional" drums away and take over the market.

Products that truly are better, take over very quickly. Others often end up "As Seen On TV".
Your sure like using that same statement over and over and I will keep replying the same way. Lower priced products will always dominate the market, this is why Chev, Ford and Dodge sell more cars than Porsche, Ferrrari and Lamborghini, the same reason Fender sells more Mex than USA, the same reason Yamaha sells more Rock Tour and Stage custom than MCA and PHX, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
Is Guru going to be at NAMM?

Wow though come on guys...

This is the most ugly use of a Hex rack I've yet to see. You have these drums that are "NO HARDWARE" and you surround them with 5x as much hardware then you need for mounting?!

Not to mention the HUGE mounting hardware. Where's the small tom? I just see metal everywhere.

What could be a good design, and probably great sounding drums, is once again ruined by peoples obsession with shiny stuff.

Just looking at that picture is stupid. You've tried to make the drums be as hardware free as possible... and then you set up this?! WOW.
That is the Custom series, they are trying to show how far you can go if you want to, hence the term "custom", the performance and classic series have less glitter as you can easily see in the other pic that was posted. But as usual you only focus on what you can complain about.

Last edited by tard; 11-17-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #55
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Here are a couple more clips, one of Derek Roddy on the Guru origin series at the LDS and another clip testing the Guru performance series with Evans heads installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T3J1FM-PiM&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8G9IrqriY&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Three more video clips called the Guru sessions, 1 2 & 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGLAH1kYIc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgSpQJE-XSo&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7NcbCLNcDA&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Last edited by tard; 11-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #56
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Guru Drumworks web site is now completely updated, with both the old and new design photos, as well as professionally recorded videos that are, in their own words, "TOTALLY HONEST AUDIO CAPTURES. NO TRICKS, NO EQ.", check it out if your interested, or dont if your not.

http://www.gurudrumworks.co.uk/
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #57
Vinnie's Ice Cream

Checked out the videos.

The snare's sound really good. Really good actually. I'd think about ordering one myself even.

The toms sound like shit to be quite honest. Very very dead. Particularly that "Part 1" video.

The kick drums sound like a kick drum, nothing spectacular, not bad, not great, just what it is.

That little bop kit sounded really good. But IMO when you tune toms up that high, they kinda all sound the same, loose some character in a way. It sounded like a great little bop kit, but not anything heads and shoulders over any other high end kit.

That prototype kit, same thing. Snare sounded spectacular. The kick was dead as can be, but if that's the sound you want. So be it. It doesn't do much to show off the drum though.
The toms, again, just really disappointing. Lacking the resonance, character and sound output I'd expect from a kit of that price range/quality and looks.
Particularly the 8" tom, a tom that size should sing like a mother.. and it just bloop. Very very dead sounding toms over all. The floor tom almost sounds like the head isn't even at tension, just BLAP.

I would suspect the tuning of the drums for the video's is playing more a role then the drums. Honestly I would expect them to sound a lot better given the obvious build quality. I believe they quite possibly can sound better, given different tuning and head selection.

The bottom line is, they definitely are not on a competing level with other high end kits sound wise, based on those videos. Particularly considering the price range as well. I'd expect a LOT better sounds.

Just my opinion, but those drums definitely do not sound lively and open. They sound dark and dead. There is little to no resonance in the kits. Considering these drums are supposedly designed with maximum resonance in mind. Something is terribly wrong in the tuning, or perhaps the design themselves.

But the video's speak for themselves.

Last edited by Vinnie's Ice Cream; 12-28-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #58
tard
The Ugly Duckling

lol, yeh they do speak for themselves. I think someone needs to clean the wax or something out of their ears. If you think those toms are dead sounding and have no resonance or sustain then there is something wrong, or you listening a different video than I did, considering in the Part 1 video you can count at least 6 to 8 seconds of sustain (depending on the tom) after she strikes a tom. Did you change your audio settings as requested?

IMO they are fuller and more resonant sounding than most other drum clips that have even been eq'ed to death. Members on other forums he has posted on, have been raving about the increased resonance and warmth compared to regular high end drums, but I didnt really expect you to say anything positive anyway. You also seem to confuse resonance and sustain as being the same thing, but in fact are different and somewhat unrelated.

Last edited by tard; 12-28-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #59
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

The toms don't really seem to sing much to me either, to be honest.

I could probably go for a snare though, if it fitted with the kind of stuff i like to play
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #60
Vinnie's Ice Cream

Particularly compared to the snare drum! Those snares sound great! They sing, have great tone.

You listen to the snare and listen to the toms - it sounds like a different kit.

A 16" floor tom should sustain far more then a 14" snare drum. You watch those videos, it's the exact opposite.