Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #33391
suspect device
mk viii

sure, they can switch it defence wise but that really isn't a strength. and that allows them to put an extra player forward to get involved in the same one trick

maybe i have am looking at it wrong. they tried something different with ibrahimovic a couple of years back and that didn't work. i just think that after 75 minutes against a resolute team in the champions league semi final and you are not breaking them down then you have to be able to change it. i don't see them change anything and whilst the way they play is very effective against lesser teams, when it comes to this stage of the season, the inters, chelseas and madrids are ready for them
suspect device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #33392
poorquality
O_o

Yes but after 3 losses it's easy to say that teams like inters, chelseas and madrids are ready for them, but their style of play has completely destroyed Madrid in the past, I think Madrid have had 2 wins in the last 9 against them?

And as resolute as Inter were against them, Barcelona managed to break them down eventually, I know they still lost the tie but generally they play football so quickly and accurately that other teams can't cope.

Chelsea in the second leg played a brilliant defensive tactic with rows of 6 and 4 or 5 and 5 etc. They kept their discipline and it worked, it's not just Barcelona that would struggle to break them down.

They don't have the players to be able to play a long ball system, and if they tried their most suited forward has been injured for months with a broken leg.

I'm not sure what other style of play they could try. As you said they tried with Ibrahimovic but it didn't work out.

I don't think a bad end to one season is cause to try and change the way they play or to develop a "Plan B" as such, their Plan A has worked against the best and world teams in the world. The last week is still fresh in the mind so it's easy to concentrate on it, but over the years it's worked for them.
poorquality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #33393
Cesar
Obey me Rome!!!

2 in 10 games i believe.

Premier League is a mess right now, so many crazy score lines this season.

Arsenal held by stoke
Everton 4-0 Fulham
Swansea 4-4 Wolves
and Wigan...

They beat Newcastle 4-0 after beating Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal. All after being deep in the hole.
Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #33394
suspect device
mk viii

man wigan are on fire. hard to explain how well they have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorquality View Post
Yes but after 3 losses it's easy to say that teams like inters, chelseas and madrids are ready for them, but their style of play has completely destroyed Madrid in the past, I think Madrid have had 2 wins in the last 9 against them?

And as resolute as Inter were against them, Barcelona managed to break them down eventually, I know they still lost the tie but generally they play football so quickly and accurately that other teams can't cope.

Chelsea in the second leg played a brilliant defensive tactic with rows of 6 and 4 or 5 and 5 etc. They kept their discipline and it worked, it's not just Barcelona that would struggle to break them down.

They don't have the players to be able to play a long ball system, and if they tried their most suited forward has been injured for months with a broken leg.

I'm not sure what other style of play they could try. As you said they tried with Ibrahimovic but it didn't work out.

I don't think a bad end to one season is cause to try and change the way they play or to develop a "Plan B" as such, their Plan A has worked against the best and world teams in the world. The last week is still fresh in the mind so it's easy to concentrate on it, but over the years it's worked for them.
i agree fully that it works extremely well.

like cesar said previously, maybe they miss villa more than most thought they would.

it is just that when a good team sets out with a hard work ethic and a 4-5 back line with one up front and one in the net then it is really hard to break down and at this stage of the season every game counts. so it is the time to get found out and the time to be able to react with something different. maybe more width, like manu it does mean yo have to have height in the box, it might just mean direct crosses.

i dunno
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #33395
2muchket!
mx chubstep enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by porch View Post
Vilanova to replace him, some will call it risky but it seems like a good decision to give it to someone who already knows the club inside out and will continue guardiola's philosophy
bielsa would be a perfect fit

also pepe/whatever the barca lad in here is called, sky plused the bit after the chelsea v barca game were it looked like messi was going to start balling, loved that the little small smug cunt's bottom lip was trembling. Must've had about 20 wanks over it now. Just though you should know son.

Last edited by 2muchket!; 04-28-2012 at 12:02 PM.
2muchket! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #33396
Smokey D

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect device View Post
maybe i have am looking at it wrong. they tried something different with ibrahimovic a couple of years back and that didn't work. i just think that after 75 minutes against a resolute team in the champions league semi final and you are not breaking them down then you have to be able to change it. i don't see them change anything and whilst the way they play is very effective against lesser teams, when it comes to this stage of the season, the inters, chelseas and madrids are ready for them
Tiiki taka is more effective than pretty much anything else they could do. Barcelona playing tiki taka is the most ruthlessly efficient way of playing football What they needed was a second striker to take the heat off Messi; Sanchez and especially Tello weren't up to it. And it's not like Barcelona didn't carve out clear cut chances against both.

Tello was ostensibly there to give width but he pretty much wrote himself out of the match.

Quote:
it is just that when a good team sets out with a hard work ethic and a 4-5 back line with one up front and one in the net then it is really hard to break down and at this stage of the season every game counts. so it is the time to get found out and the time to be able to react with something different. maybe more width, like manu it does mean yo have to have height in the box, it might just mean direct crosses.
Well, if you think about it, it's so called lesser teams which cost Barca la Liga.

My theory for Barca not performing as well are we're used to seeing is still that Fab destabilised the Iniesta-Xavi dynamo, and the shape of the team was thrown in attempting to put them all on the pitch at the same time (rather than a dedicated striker).

Last edited by Smokey D; 04-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Smokey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #33397
suspect device
mk viii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey D View Post
Tiiki taka is more effective than pretty much anything else they could do. Barcelona playing tiki taka is the most ruthlessly efficient way of playing football
its their most ruthlessly efficient way

and it fails

Quote:
What they needed was a second striker to take the heat off Messi; Sanchez and especially Tello weren't up to it. And it's not like Barcelona didn't carve out clear cut chances against both.
ok. we'll take it that they had an off week. just at the most important stage of the season. reminiscent of arsenal

Quote:
Tello was ostensibly there to give width but he pretty much wrote himself out of the match.
yeah, he wasn''t up to it. seems to be a problem with depth in the barca squad
Quote:
Well, if you think about it, it's so called lesser teams which cost Barca la Liga.
losing against madrid at home changed everything. it they had beaten madrid then a moral victory would have stoke the fire enough to give them confidence against chelsea. maybe madrid would have seen the league out but they would have felt the pressure

Quote:
My theory for Barca not performing as well are we're used to seeing is still that Fab destabilised the Iniesta-Xavi dynamo, and the shape of the team was thrown in attempting to put them all on the pitch at the same time (rather than a dedicated striker).
or xavi is exhausted, villa is missed and others are learning how to contain them
Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #33398
poorquality
O_o

I don't think they had confidence issues against Chelsea, don't forget they completely dominated the first leg and on another day would have been 3-4 goals up going into the second, and of course in the second leg they scored twice.

Their main issue I think is as you said, the squad depth, Tello and Tiago are going to be great players but they're young and it was a huge game to throw them into.

Madrid are the only team that has really learnt to contain them while still being able to play their own game and that's taken 10 games. Chelsea defended for their lives in that second leg, and it kept Barcelona out, but it would have kept out Madrid, United, Inter and AC etc

Football is unpredictable, it's what makes it great and what makes the lesser teams able to grab results against the top teams when 9 times out of 10 they'd lose.

If Barcelona turn around next season and beat Madrid as comfortably as they have in previous games people will forget about their blips this season. Don't forget, it was 1 game in 10! Barcelona have dominated most of the others, but the most recent sticks in the memory.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #33399
ColonelKurtz
scumfuc

suspectdevice is unfamiliar with history pre-dating 2012
ColonelKurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #33400
suspect device
mk viii

what difference does it make?

seriously
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #33401
Smokey D

Quote:
its their most ruthlessly efficient way

and it fails
Not usually.

Quote:
ok. we'll take it that they had an off week. just at the most important stage of the season. reminiscent of arsenal
What, no Arsenal just aren't up to it.

Quote:
yeah, he wasn''t up to it. seems to be a problem with depth in the barca squad
Maybe, but it might just be because they have an obsession with using youth players. There were alternatives to using Tello.

Quote:
losing against madrid at home changed everything. it they had beaten madrid then a moral victory would have stoke the fire enough to give them confidence against chelsea. maybe madrid would have seen the league out but they would have felt the pressure
Yeah but if they hadn't drawn so many games they'd be in front anyway.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #33402
suspect device
mk viii

Quote:
Not usually.
what does it matter if it fails when it matters most

Quote:
What, no Arsenal just aren't up to it.
they are more up to it now than they have been for a while
Quote:
Maybe, but it might just be because they have an obsession with using youth players. There were alternatives to using Tello.
its in their blood. who do you think the alternatives were?

Quote:
Yeah but if they hadn't drawn so many games they'd be in front anyway.
if me aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

Last edited by suspect device; 04-29-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #33403
poorquality
O_o

Fernando Torres scores a hattrick for Chelsea... yes you read that right.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #33404
suspect device
mk viii

heard that

will probably make the grade for euro 2012

and score the winner in the champions league

no more than his talent deserves
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #33405
Ando!
classic ando

Quote:

its in their blood. who do you think the alternatives were?
pedro
Ando! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #33406
HighandDriving
Fingas neva saw me coming

Lyon played Gourcuff finally and he sucked.

HighandDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #33407
poorquality
O_o

That free kick from Walker was unbelievable Jeff.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #33408
Surf
SERF

Took a deflection.

Budget.

Edit: Roy for England has led sky sports news to compare 'Arry with Clough.

With utter sincerity

Harry fucking Redknapp comapred with Brian Clough.

Fuck you Murdoch.

Last edited by Surf; 04-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #33409
2muchket!
mx chubstep enthusiast

Was at a garden of remembrance in Acklam (boro suburb) few weeks back. Saw a special monument to cloughy, really really nice.

Great man.

Arry's not fit enough to sell him a dodgy piece of fish from the back of relient robin, let alone be compared to him.
2muchket! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #33410
poorquality
O_o

Saw this, made me chuckle:

Hodgson; Titles in Sweden/Denmark, finalist in UEFA/Europa Cup (Milan/Fulham), manager of Swiss / UAB / Finland

Redknapp; Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth (FA CUP), Southampton (Relegated), Portsmouth (broke), Spurs, Monaco (bank account)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #33411
Adabelle
Ada m

Jesus there are a lot of quotes/conversations going on here, i would contribute but i am feeling lazy.

Also, guess who transferred Torres into their fantasy football team for this weekend and made him captain? (The answer is me...)
Adabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #33412
Smokey D

Chelsea with a Torres who can score goals is actually quite a scary prospect.

Quote:
they are more up to it now than they have been for a while
You reckon? Even though they exchanged Nasri and Fab for Gervinho and Arteta (don't get me wrong, Arteta is my home boy but he's no Fab)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #33413
Cesar
Obey me Rome!!!

I hope the rumor about Arsenal wanting to get Belhanda are true. He has been playing great in France, big part of the almost-champions Mont-pellier. They could use another quality midfielder. I won't trust Wilshere until he shows he can spend a season injury free, and even if he can there's no guarantee he'll be as good as we once hoped (year out stunting his progression). Ramsey is alright, but hasn't produced to the levels needed.

You could have Song, Arteta, and Belhanda starting next year. If Wilshere comes back healthy then you can rotate the midfield with Ramsey another option off the bench. If Wilshere turns out to be the star he was supposed to before the injury then they'll have a scary midfield.

Van Persie up front with Walcott and Gervinho in the wings. The Ox strong off the bench or on rotation.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #33414
Ando!
classic ando

Plus Diaby, if he ever stays healthy/regains form

If Frimpong/Coqelin keep progressing, then Song's got solid backup too in the holding role

could be a scary midfield indeed
Ando! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #33415
Cesar
Obey me Rome!!!

Cisse

Enough said.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #33416
Dave de Sylvia
Administrator
Admin

Two of the best goals you'll see from a player in the same game. Newcastle are looking like they will give Manchester City a proper game at the weekend, considering they'll probably need to win. The FA will look like chumps if Pardew guides Newcastle to the Champions League without having even been considered for the national team job.

"Hey, if you put one guitarist’s head on one side of a coin and the other guitarist’s head on the other side of the coin, you would have a double-sided coin!"
Dave de Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #33417
Adabelle
Ada m

Was flicking through some random pages earlier in the thread because for some reason I can't get to the most recent page and found this from September...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
So, which half of the table d'you reckon Arsenal will finish in? I'm thinking bottom half.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #33418
Adabelle
Ada m

Wtf now it lets me look at the last page, sweet.

Hoping that this weekend, this happens:
- Chelsea beat Liverpool in the cup final
- Moses scores a hat-trick
- Arsenal win by 6 with goals from Koscielny and Vermalaen but not from RVP
- Valencia and Rooney score 4 between them against Swansea
- Newcastle beat Citeh
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #33419
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

not gonna happen son

all those others maybe but liverpool got one hand on that cup already
Pastorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #33420
poorquality
O_o

It's been days since the forum has let me access this thread, I started to have withdrawals, but then it appeared I didn't miss much...

Oh well Newcastle to win Sunday. Cisse to score another world class goal and take top 3 goals of the season.