Old 05-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #31
filter
(*)(*)PIT KING(*)(*)

green eggs n ham had my mind in a knot fer a bit
filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #32
holy_roller99
Revolutionary L'eader.

Dune and A Clockwork Orange. these were life changing books and really make you think. and when readin a Clockwork Orange dont get too reluctant with the slang that is used. about half way through it will seem almost normal.
holy_roller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #33
Amit
blame it on the goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles
Yes I have, I've also read Midnight's Children by the same author, it's perhaps a better book but I recommended ...Verses because it deals with religion (albeit Islam instead of Christianity)

If you like Verses I would certainly recommend Midnight's Children. In fact I'm going to pick up a couple of his other books - I'll report back to you on how they are.
It's very nice to see someone else digs Rushdie

Anyway, I've read almost all of Salman Rushdie's works...And I think they're all darn wonderful. A lot of his stuff is lost if you can't catch all the Indian culture/society allusions, though. Hell, I don't get some of them at times :-\

The Moor's Last Sigh, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, and Shalimar The Clown (his newest book) are incredible epics, just like Satanic Verses.
Amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #34
nowhesingsnowhesobs
__

Quote:
Dune and A Clockwork Orange. these were life changing books and really make you think. and when readin a Clockwork Orange dont get too reluctant with the slang that is used. about half way through it will seem almost normal
I thought Dune was dull so I couldn't be bothered finishing it. tbh, there is far better sci fi
nowhesingsnowhesobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #35
holy_roller99
Revolutionary L'eader.

nah. the first time through is pretty boring but when you look through the fine lines the second time you will understand.
holy_roller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #36
Eccles
SPIRAL R TEH SH1TH34D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atman
A lot of his stuff is lost if you can't catch all the Indian culture/society allusions, though. Hell, I don't get some of them at times :-\
I must say I would never have predicted this post
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #37
Bass_ment
DaveHead.jpg is fear

Animal Farm by George Orwell is fantastic book IF you understand the satire it makes on Soviet Russia. If you know nothing about Soviet Russia, Marxism or The Russian Revolution then it will just be a silly story about talking animals for you.

Johnny Got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo is also one of the finest books I have ever read along with F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby although the latter is really more of a work of art than a though provoker.
Bass_ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #38
Amit
blame it on the goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles
I must say I would never have predicted this post
why the troll :-\
Old 05-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #39
Eccles
SPIRAL R TEH SH1TH34D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atman
why the troll :-\
troll: my anti-drug
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #40
Amit
blame it on the goose

haha
Old 05-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #41
Noyana
The Final Countdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_roller99
Dune and A Clockwork Orange. these were life changing books and really make you think. and when readin a Clockwork Orange dont get too reluctant with the slang that is used. about half way through it will seem almost normal.

I started reading A Clockwork Orange last night. I actually spent the past 2 hours reading it - i'm almost done. and i completely agree. It's intensly thought-provoking. The language offset me the first chapter, but you get used to it - it's like a puzzle. For words that by halfway were really bugging me, I just googled.
Noyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #42
jazzfromhell
What's happening, brother

Cody's Books, the bookstore (or one of them) that someone through a pipebomb in in 1989 for refusing to take The Satanic Verses off of the shelves, is closing on July 12th. A true shame, it's not my favorite bookstore, but it's been there for fifty years, and is one of the more historic locations on Telegraph Avenue. R.I.P.

As for thought-provokers, I don't believe these have been mentioned:

Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
Franz Kafka - Pretty much everything he's written, I thought The Trial was kinda dull, but he had the "hopelessly totalitarianistic society" thing going a long time before Bradbury, Orwell, Huxley, etc.; kinda surprised he hasn't been mentioned already
William Golding - Lord of the Flies
Albert Camus - The Stranger
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #43
Iskandar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfromhell
Albert Camus - The Stranger
Y'know, I was a bit let down by this book. It was executed well and I enjoyed it, but it didn't challenge me in any real way.

Irrelevant; everybody else should give it a try nevertheless.
Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #44
Gnarmageddon

Not really thought provoking on an intellectual level, but both "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" by Chuck Klosterman and "Solipsist" by Henry Rollins offered some interesting points of view.
Gnarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #45
djs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster
I started reading A Clockwork Orange last night. I actually spent the past 2 hours reading it - i'm almost done. and i completely agree. It's intensly thought-provoking. The language offset me the first chapter, but you get used to it - it's like a puzzle. For words that by halfway were really bugging me, I just googled.
I started it yesterday too...had to read the first page 3 times. You pretty much learn to ignore the word until you read most of the section, and you get an idea of what it's all about. I still dont know whether horroshow is a good or bad thing though..

Quote:
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
I just got done reading that in English class and didn't find it too thought provoking...maybe cause it was forced reading. Well, who actually did it and why they did it are kinda thought provoking

Last edited by djs; 05-15-2006 at 09:17 PM.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #46
jazzfromhell
What's happening, brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs
I just got done reading that in English class and didn't find it too thought provoking...maybe cause it was forced reading. Well, who actually did it and why they did it are kinda thought provoking

***SPOILERS FOR IN COLD BLOOD/CAPOTE (THE MOVIE)***

What's thought provoking about In Cold Blood is that it makes you wonder how a person as gentle, kind, and peaceful (although at the same time, troubled) as Perry Smith could murder four completely innocent people. It also shows how the wrong set of circumstances (cycle of poverty, poor upbringing) can drive a good person off track into evil.

***END SPOILERS***

Oh, and Dropper, as long as we're talking thought-provoking, we shouldn't go without mentioning the Communist Manifesto, as well as a ton of political/economic/social science works; although those wouldn't be novels, which seem to be what this thread is looking for.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote