View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:23 AM   #47
Kent

I registered, but it won't let me post a new topic for some reason. So I looked around to find the most appropriate thread I could reply in to pose my question and this seems to be it. Sorry if I judged wrong.

My question: I'm a complete 'newb' when it comes to musical hardware but I'm looking to get a few people together to jam and potentially start a band. I'd be doing vocals and already plan to buy a nice cheap Behringer XM8500 mic (seen some amazing reviews for it), but I'm wondering what kind of amplifier I would need to buy for it if all I'm using it for is casual live performances.

I've used my friend's guitar amp in the past and it seemed to work fine, but then I have another friend bitching that I need to buy a PA. I really don't know what to believe, but my other friend seems to think he knows a lot more than he actually does.

This is all just for very casual jam sessions so I don't need anything glamorous; just something that'll get the job done. I'm not really looking to spend a ton of money here. I'm a college student with just under $400 in the bank (thank God for generous parents) so I'm working on a really tight budget.

So what say you? Will a cheap guitar amp suffice, or will I actually need to get something specifically tailored to mic use? And if I can run with just a guitar amp, what's the minimum wattage you'd suggest?

Last edited by Kent; 10-01-2006 at 02:26 AM.