Thread: Beat your kids!
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
The Profit of Maine
Applied Hippy Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude
What basis do you have for thinking that corporal punishment has even a small causational relationship to better behavior and lower crime? Actual empirical evidence please, not just "back in the day people slapped their kids around and their was no crime" which is nonsense and not even true.
With how taboo real violence is at present, there is no way to show empirical evidence. How would I be able to prove anything with the laws as they are?

Of course there are tons of differences between the 50's/60's and now. More leisure time, changes in media and acceptable subjects, and tons of things that could also have an effect. The only thing I have to support this theory is my camp experience, where in the past ten years counselors have gone from being able to play fight with campers to a necessary shoulder squeeze instead of a hug. In the last ten years campers have gone from reverence and respect to violence and defiance. Most of the kids who perform the latter may have done so anyway no matter the circumstance, but in their lives of little parental supervision and lack of time to pay attention, I think a little rough-housing would do them good.