View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Steffanwolf

Reccomend for me some bass heads

I want to improve my bass drum sound. I've been trying out a PS3 which I'm not very happy with, before which I used an EMAD which was pretty ok. I've played around with the stock Gretsch reso head (1ply w/ Mylar dampening ring) and a fiberskyn as a reso, but again, not inspired by any of the combos.

I have an 18"x14" Gretsch mahogany kick. Looking for ideas of what you'd try on it. Goal is a versatile, punchy sound. I know I'm limited somewhat by the smaller kick size but I want to do the best I can with what I got. As such my ideal heads would dampen just enough to be able to keep the drum empty (I.e. no pillows/blankets). Also I'm leaning towards coated heads this time.

Saw a black suede ps3 at the store which piqued my interest but I decided not to impulse buy. Also thinking i should maybe go simple with a coated Emp/Amb combo... anywho, all thoughts appreciated.

Also, I've never ported, as it seems wrong on an 18". Any experience to the contrary?

Edit: I play mostly in the blues, rock realm. Some jazz, some folk. I don't use double kicks, but I do hit pretty hard.

Last edited by Steffanwolf; 11-17-2012 at 05:47 PM.