View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #371
Guitfiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecharlie8
i was hoping that maby someone would review the epiphone blues custom amp who isnt trying to sell it to me. any hands on information will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
I have had one for a little over a month now.

The amp has that retro/vintage look and the cabinet appears to be well made. It weights in at about 70 lbs. The control layout is visually appealing and is in a logical order.

In terms of sound, I am very disappointed. The clean channel is extremely bright and thin. With the tone controls set for a balanced sound (this means turning the treble down and the bass all the way up) it is very ordinary, but usable.

The OD channel is an entirely different animal. It is a waste of good electricity. Major ice pick harsh on top of being thin and bright. Unfortunately no amount of knob tweaking helps.

After playing the amp for about 25 to 30 hours, I opted for a tube swap. It ended up costing me a little over $200 for complete sets of JJ-Tesla's and Tung-Sols preamp and power amp tubes. I replaced the rectifier with a JJ as well. There has been some significant improvement on the clean channel but the OD channel is still unusable, unless of course the sound you are after is some variation of harsh, thin, and bright. If so, you have just found your soul mate!

This amp qualifies as one of the bigger failures for Gibson since their Digital Guitar and the opening of their hollowbody plant in Memphis. Definitely qualifies for a big ...

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

The Guitfiddler
Guitfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote