View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #18
onefatjazzcat
The Count

man with the horn

ahhh yes... this is cool to see a mini thread on jazz trumpet, ive always thought of posting one but didnt have time.. but practicing is always better.

Ive been playing trumpet for 12 years now. A big fan of the big band era, Harry James is what got it started for me - Ciribiribin & Concerto for trumpet. Ive been playing jazz 9 years, mainly in college big bands and barely trying to fit in with small combo groups. I started playing my horn with braces and wore them for quite some time the first 7 years i remember those days. My embouchure sits a little bit off to the right. After night after night of bleeding lips i got my braces removed the peak of my trumpet career and it set me back for a couple weeks i had to adjust to the change in my lips, it was like moving out of town - almost starting from scratch. My tone was off - i had that wet "fuff" sound coming out and my range was down, i had to use a Shilke 14a4a for awhile, i personally dont like shallow mouthpieces. I also played on the bobby shew lead mouthpiece and that was a nice piece. For years ive been using the same horn a student model Bach (maybe TR300), ive recently purchased from a friend of mine a 1960s raw brass martin commitee horn, i like the way it feels and plays, a much larger horn (bore) than my other. One flaw it plays madly out of tune, im still learning how to use this one. For $100 bucks off the internet i bought a blue pocket trumpet, dont know what it is but its always a great novelty piece - it plays cherry. Enough of my poop..

Jazz is jazz, free expression - its something i dont know how to describe in words, you just have to open yours ears and appreciate. In short just have fun!!!