View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Guitar Therapist
Sensory serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_in_absentia View Post
What I do when I'm pressed for time is take the single track and pan it hard left. I then make a copy of it and pan it hard right, changing the EQ and (MOST IMPORTANT PART) add a 1ms delay. Not DELAY as in the effect, but literally delaying your entire track by 1ms (or an even smaller/larger fraction, experiment with it). This separates both tracks to give the impression of a second recording, when you're actually using the exact same track.
This is a valid point, but it does yield a different result. This is not necessarily a worse result, just a different sound. OP - give this technique a try on some of your lead tracks too. You can also detune one of the sides by a few cents to add to this effect, although you may find yourself straying into 80s territory here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_in_absentia View Post
Also, do note that while your choice of mic is important, your preamp and DAW is MORE important (kinda like how the amp makes up a bigger part of your tone than your guitar).
I disagree with this. Well, to a degree. If you are talking the difference between a sound card and a relatively cheap pre (such as the Firestudio), then probably, yes. But in my experience, the sound differences between high-quality preamps are far more subtle than the difference between microphones. I'm speaking in generalities here and realise this is not always the case, but across most of the gear I work with, I would certainly say that there is more distinct tonal variation between mics than pres. More important than either though is the bit of air you choose to put the mic in and the thing you decide to point it at.

OP: When you say 'audio interface', what specifically do you have?