View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #1142
Merkaba
Play-Dough and Rug Hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicaltroll View Post
Sup, Merakaba?
Remember me? I kinda remember me whoring my Animal Cruelty/Battle Mech Version Of Jesus Christ songs to you over AIM years ago. Times have changed, and I now write, ummm, post-grunge/rock songs? Funky title I know, but point is I don't scream anymore. I sing.

I'm afraid my voice is shit now because of the way I USED to scream, or yell. Constantly, always, live shows and recordings, many takes. And, just being honest, I've had 2 OD's on opiates, to where I needed to have a tube down my throat. Again, twice.

I feel that when I sing lately, my voice cracks in an undesirable way, even for the rough "grungy" sound I'm looking for. Then again, I feel like I've never properly learned how to sing, or warm up. Sometimes I rule when singing, I have a very high voice, almost like Thom Yorke.

So, the questions I have, rephrased, are, do you think my voice could be screwed from the tubes down my throat (scratching or scars, you know)? Or even from smoking heavily? If I continue to smoke, is it practically impossible to sing well, clean?

And, I have some ideas of warmups, but I haven't looked any up online or talked to a teacher of some sort. Should I just hum, or sing, a basic scale? Or do the weird word thing (doh reh blah blah)?

I think my problem is lack of practice and warming up. But I'm also scared I've screwed my voice after years of smoking, screaming, and the other stuff I mentioned. What do you think?

And are you making music lately? Just curious to hear it if you are.

P.s. sorry if I missed the first posts links, I have a crappy phone as my internet lately, so its hell to go to some sites. I appreciate it in advance for a simple reply.
I remember this!

Yes the tube couldve damaged you. The cords are very fragile in comparison to other areas. Having a plastic tube jam around them can't be good and if it scared one side or another slightly your cords are not going to zip up smoothely. Smoking of course doesn't help. Some people can smoke like a chimney and sound sweet. Some can't. Life isn't fair!

True warmups for those recovering or with an issue can be very long. Like I know I said before, I know I've read of pros warming up for an hour. YOu have to warm up the are and Buzz off excess mucous. Just the other day I had another instance where my voice was shit, then I sneazed (alot of that lately) and my voice instantly improved.

And yes my voice has gotten weaker too! Due to stress and not singing probably,and I think the new house I moved into, the previous owner had pets, and the carpet I think keeps me with mucous issues. EVERY morning I wake up and sneaze at least 10 times and have to blow my nose, etc. I don't really scream as much as I used to, no band, still thinking about doing some music though. I don't sing or practice like I used to because back in the day My work schedule had me in the car and I always sang for a certain period of time. Usually at least an hour a day. Now, not so much. To everyone else, I might try to log in more often and do more replying. This forum was one of my first haunts and part of a very special time for me.

Last edited by Merkaba; 12-17-2010 at 02:40 AM.