View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #5
sketchyjoe
GREAT GOOGA-MOOGA!

41.Anti-Flag - Die for your Government
This was the first album from Pittsburgh punk rockers Anti-Flag, and its often considered their best. Combining crunching rhythms and catchy melodies, courtesy of Justin Sane lightning fast beats from Pat Thetic, insane basslines a la Andy Flag, gang vocals, old-school punk rock attitude, and extreme liberal politics, what's not to love about this album. It includes such classics as Die For The Government, Fuck Police Brutality, Punk By The Book, Red White and Brainwashed, and Rotten Future, as well as an essay about the deplorable state of the scene, showing that they truly do care. A must-have for anyone who even remotely likes punk rock.

42.Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
Armed with one of hardcore's most popular records, The Gorilla Biscuits almost instantly became one of the most respected bands throughout all of hardcore even to this day. Start Today is defined by many as the definitive Youth Crew record. It is hard to argue against that definition because Start Today contains the heart, sincerity, and pure raw energy that is lost in so many other albums by most any other band. This album contains strong anthems like "New Direction" and short blasts of the most intense hardcore as shown in songs like "Good Intention". The impact of the album is simply amazing. You will be hard-pressed to find any big hardcore fans that do not listen to the Gorilla Biscuits. A good percentage of hardcore bands today owe their success to the Gorilla Biscuits. Without Start Today, pretty much all hardcore today would be a lot different.

43.Dead Kennedys - Give me convenience or give me death
Released after the band had split up. This reminded fans what an amazing band DK had been. Filled with previously hard to find classics such as their version of I Fought The Law (And I Won) about murderer-cop Dan White, the anthem for social-rejects in In-Sight, the bitter portrayal of corrupt cops in Police Truck or great single version of two of their most famous tracks, Holiday In Cambodia and California Uber Alles. The same Dk trade-marks were there, excellent musicianship and killer lyrics, none more so than on the albums twin highlights, the classic frat-boy lampooning Too Drunk To Fuck (which even breached the UK charts despite being banned) and the hilarious anti-rock star Pull My Strings performed live at a San Francisco music awards.

44.The Vandals - Hitler Bad, Vandals Good
This album has some of the greatest songs ever by this band. I don’t really know how to classify it. It has some pop-punk elements and some punk elements, but what really matters is that it’s a great album. These guys know how to do very good. The sound is perfect, not too hard and not too soft, if you know what I mean, that’s in part why I don’t know how to classify it. Anyway, this album has everything you can ask. Catchy melodies in the vocals, some funny parts, nice and funny lyrics, cool guitar parts, great bass lines, and good drumming as well. I think it’s the best album by this classic punk band. Recommended songs: People that are going to hell, I’ve got an ape drape, Euro-barge.

45.Iggy & the Stooges - Raw Power
The legends of proto-punk, the band credited many times for inventing the real punk sound and attitude. This third album from the band was a chance taken by David Bowie's management to help his pupil, Iggy Pop have one morehit album with his band. Although it was missing some key members the band still out an album true to its name, Raw Power. With a songs like Search and Destroy and Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell, the Stooges pull off a powerful final album, to go down in punk history.

46.Rise Against - Revolutions per minute
This 2003 release from Chicago Melodic Hardcore band Rise Against spanned many different sounds within the punk spectrum from the more hardcore such as "Dead Ringer" and "To the Core" to the more catchy melodys like songs "Like the Angel" and "Heaven Knows" and even a cover of Journey's "Anyway You Want It". A very solid album from a great band.

47.X - Los Angeles
The L.A. punk band that grouped with a former Door, a surprise to all. X were a unqiue band in their scene, being female fronted and being produced by legendary Doors keyboardist/organist, Ray Manzarek. This album debuts the band as reminicesnt of the New York art-punk scene. With poetic lyrics from both John Doe and Exene Cervenka. Songs like "Your Phone's off the Hook, but You're Not" and "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene" are punk classics and shape the X trademark sound, and their sped up cover of the Doors Soul Kitchen shows them paying tribute to one of their influences. Los Angeles is truly a legendary album for the L.A. Punk scene.

48.Wire - Pink Flag
Released in 1977, Pink Flag is something of an oddity, being a post-punk album made before punk music had truly blasted its way onto the scene. Taking in 23 songs in less than 40 minutes, it's clearly immensely punk in feel, although many people consider it to be atypical of the genre, due to the fact that while this album is in no danger of ever feeling stale, as the songs seem regularly to be based around one idea, which then, as it ends, finishes the song with it, meaning that the songs themselves jump between one another, there are elements of "progressive punk" present here, such as on the opening track, Reuters, and Lowdown, which vary the band's sound. Pop hooks also infiltrate the album, such as on the last two tracks, Dot Dash and 12XU. Although Wire's other albums are also great, this is their finest hour.

49.Misfits - Walk Among Us
One of the bands most popular albums, with classics such as Skulls, Mommy Can I Go Out & Kill Tonight and Vampira. Numerous songs on the album are all about B Horror movies which seems to be Danzig's obsession in his songs. If your going to listen to one Misfits album it might aswell be this one.

50.The Stooges - Fun House
This is one the best raw proto-punk records that everyone should have in their collection. From it's raw powerfulblues riffs with iggy screaming and howling to 1970's wailing sax along with smooth bass riffs makes it all come together. Dirt is the only slow song on this CD but it doesn't let you down either with it's bluesy guitar type style. The lyrics are mainly about sex and violence. This records titles "fun house' defiantly describes the whole album. This album IS a classic.

Last edited by sketchyjoe; 03-24-2005 at 05:57 PM.