View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 01:46 AM   #33
BuddyBigsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatecelebrities
Ok, so bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Wasted Youth, Youth of Today are all old school hardcore bands? And "old school hardcore" is just another sub genre of punk such as... street? What about bands like Rise Against, Thought Riot, and Strike Anywhere (I mean I know they are melodic hardcore, but I want to know if they would belong in this thread)? I listened to some sample songs of American Nightmare (except it was their other name) and I'm pretty sure Sk8 said they were hardcore, and they sound completely different from every band I have listed so far.
Yes, old school hardcore is correct. Rise Against can go in this thread, all hardcore is welcome. As for the American Nightmare songs, you said you checked out the music they made under Give Up the Ghost, meaning their last album, which they experimented very much on. That album isn't the best (it works, but not the best) for trying to figure out what hardcore is. Listen to "AM/PM" by them if you want an idea. The other reason GUTG/American Nightmare didn't sound like the bands mentioned is because they are modern hardcore, an evolved form of Black Flag, etc., and of course they are completely different from Rise Against and Strike Anywhere because melodic hardcore and hardcore are different genres.

PS. As long as we're on the subject, if you want a really good band that sounds like they came from the 80's hardcore punk scene, check out Hit the Deck.

Last edited by BuddyBigsby; 06-17-2004 at 01:51 AM.