View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
joshmay
ob la di, ob la da!

L&L Rules (Read before posting)

[songwriting and lyrics] + [lyrical challenges] rules

most everything i'm asking you to abide by is common sense, but with this wonderful invention called the internet you have to account for a lack of that sometimes here is a basic review of do's and do not's. even if you've been here awhile, you might want to read over just in case, as these rules definitely make this place work wonderfully.

*inserts fine print that makes all lyrics posted property of josh.may2004*

just kidding folks. anything you post is still yours, no one else's.

[+] i would ask that you critique a few (2-3) songs for every one you submit. at a minimum you must crit one song for every one you submit keep in mind that this is the bare minimum, and i would love it if everyone set a goal to critique 5 songs for every hour they browse the boards. just a hopeful suggestion

[+] do not come on here one day, and decide that you should mass post a culmination of everything you have written in the past 15 years. having an entire page of threads of your work clutters the board, and in the end you will get much less valuable input overall. i completely understand (i've been there) when the creative juices flow and you write several amazing things in one day. inspiration strikes. thats fine. post them up. it might be in your best interest to space them out a little bit, however.

[+] posting in response to a song is considering critiquing that song. one phrase /= a critique...im sure you hate posting something, seeing a reply within 2 minutes, and going to read the response "good job."...that helps no one. sure, you can include it with your critique, but at least comment on the structure, vocab, or flow of the work. i make it a habit of mine to always include an "x/10" rating as well. you might want to do the same.

[+] there has been a thread on this before, but do not insult other members. constructive criticism is fine, and most often the best reply to a work one can get. but "that is the worst excuse for a song. crap" is not constructive criticism. one offense gets you a warning, repeated offenders may be banned. another thing, keep the posts generally clean. offensive language, in an offensive manner, will get the same treatment as insults. i understand some people's need to use strong language in their work to convey a tone or something of that nature. this is absolutely fine. just dont be blatantly posting offensive stuff for the sake of it.

[+] all work that you post is understood to be yours. do not post other people's work, or just a band's lyrics that you find nice. this is a forum for original submissions.

[+] alright. that basically covers it. of course the main objective of this forum is to have a great time and provide the optimum environment for us all to grow as writers and critics. have the time of your life. i know i do.

[+]"the wall" has been opened up. oher moderators of this forum will now actively monitor the actions of users. Any user that is seen to be frequently breaking forum rules, spamming, or exhibiting a lack of contribution in general will have their names posted on "the wall." this serves as your warning. names are added along with the date the warning was issued. any users name posted there will be removed a month after the warning was issued. no worries yet. the catch, however: if you are seen violating any rules issued by administrators or moderators (spamming, exhibiting a general lack of contribution, etc.) and your name has already been posted on "the wall" you are now subject to administrative action. pretty much, you may be banned temporarily, permanently, or IP banned at the administrator's discretion.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171006

Added by BenBaker06 - 7/7/04
[+]Do not post more than one song on the forum each day. Users that are seen doing this will recieve a warning. Their latest threads will be closed, but their first post of the day will be left open in order to still recieve critiques.

added by SubtleDagger - 10/11/04
[+]If you have questions about vocals, please post them in The Jam Session, unless they pertain specifically to songwriting. This forum is for writing lyrics and songs, not for vocal technique. Thanks.

added by DFelon204409 - 4/24/05
[+]Do not post audio in here unless it is to supplement the lyrics as an afterpoint. If you want commentary on your music take it to the Audio Arena.

added by DFelon204409 - 5/14/05
[+]If you have questions about how to go about anything that people would talk about in this forum, take it to the stickied thread "tips and questions." Don't spam up the forum with useless "How do I do _____?" threads.

Last edited by 204409; 04-18-2006 at 11:16 AM.