Thread: Blast Beats
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Det_Nosnip
Mortals Watch the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie's Ice Cream View Post
Well your blatantly wrong again. This stuff is all over Youtube you know right?

Gene contributed to it, in no small manor. Gene set the foundation for blast beats in american aggressive electrified music (call it whatever the fuck you want, you're arguing semantics and you know it). Gene has a blast beat named after him. Roddy does not.

Ipso Facto - " he doesn't mention Gene because Gene isn't a blaster and contributed nothing to the development of blastbeats. " is an entirely incorrect statement.

First off. The man is not dead. He still plays drums.

I just think you haven't been exposed for one reason or another to the mans playing.

Scroll to 1:13 in, Gene playing with SYL , that ain't no 8th notes... those would be, what do you call them? 16th notes. Yes because his feet are playing 32nds.
SYL is FULL of this stuff. Again, one of MANY examples that took less then 60 seconds to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hje75_zd3oU
Josiah...why are you playing dumb? I'm the one who exposed you to Gene in the first place!

Gene playing something resembling a blastbeat in 2008 does not prove he invented them. In the very same DVD you keep pushing, he admits that he has borrowed what others (Roddy, Sandoval, Kolias) have done, but that traditional blasting isn't usually his thing. When modern blastbeats were invented, Gene was playing some fantastic music with the band Death. SYL is a recent thing and is the first time he's started playing anything resembling a blastbeat...again, 10 years after Pete Sandoval.

I really don't get what your argument is. If you're trying to argue that Gene is a better drummer than Roddy, I'm not going to dispute that. If you're arguing that Gene's DVD is a great resource for building chop & technique, I'm not going to dispute that either. If you're arguing that Gene is the end-all, be-all of BLASTING, though...then you're simply wrong. I know you're not much of a metalhead, but please stop pretending that you are an authority on extreme metal. Roddy's DVD showcases the various types of blastbeats and has specific exercises geared towards developing this technique. I would not recommend it to anyone except...*wait for it* somebody asking specifically for help on how to play blastbeats (see: the threadstarter)!