View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #54
Epidemechanical
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChild View Post
Granted everything from PHM to Broken was classic. With Teeth had some very solid songs on it but they were surrounded by filler, so I'd easily call it the worst album.

The Slip, Ghosts and Year Zero were all brilliant in my book.
you think the slip is brilliant? ugh, yuck. I've been seriously disappointed by every release since With Teeth. There were some songs on WT that were decent (EIETS for example) but for the most part the album as a whole is just not good.

I actually haven't met anybody that liked The Slip till you just now, haha. I just don't feel like its a NIN record. Feels more like reznor joined a band, and the best thing about NIN was the isolation that went along with the music. It just sounded like it was made by one guy in one studio and that sorta mystique makes the stuff a lot better. I mean The Fragile was basically recorded over the course of years by nobody but reznor in the basement studio of an old funeral home if memory serves

but now its getting a little too "big budget" for me and there is nothing wrong with that, but i think reznor's relaxation into the spotlight is showing a little bit. nothing is polished and nothing really has what made NIN great.

i will give him this, though - ghosts was the definitive release of his career. not only that, but it kept him current: he embraced the trend of free music downloading. Proves to us yet again that he always has what it takes to be on the cutting edge of great music and the philosophy of listening to it.

Last edited by Epidemechanical; 03-30-2009 at 10:59 PM.