View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
Riva
The People's

ATTN R&M: Flaming and You

Okay guys. I've noticed a lot of arguing, debating and flaming has been occuring in the past few months. Now, flaming is a bannable offence, but I believe we can't eliminate opinions from this forum. I mean, what else are we going to talk about?

I think the main problem is that people forget that there is a human sitting on the other side of the computer. Hence we are all guilty of forgetting about difference in opinions and others feelings.

Following soon will be the guidelines by which I seperate flaming, trolling and arguing from discussion and debate.

However, let me say something briefly.

I have come under flak recently from a number of users, mainly regarding actions in a thread. It hurts me that a number of users either a) flat out abused myself, or b) disparaged my modding ability all because I posted an opinion.

I'm here to clear up a few doubts. The mods are not your lapdogs. We are ordinary users like yourselves, who must also perform other duties. We do not waive our right to an opinion when we gain the 5 stars. We do not automatically agree to bow down to your opinion just because we have an italicised username. We aren't meant to be Holier Than Thou. We are down in the dirt with you guys, except we have duties. And it isn't all fun being a mod either, it's a lot of hard work at times.

The incident in question involved someone who first questioned my opinion, then flat out refused to listen to my rebuttal, and proceeded to insult me personally, all because I tried to debate them. This incident has sparked me to write this thread. I am not excusing my actions or that of the person, by the way. It's in the past, and been resolved, I hope.

Now, this is by no means concrete, so you can all post your definitions/interpretations, and I will edit these guidelines if there is enough demand.

Okay:

Debating

Debating is the art of the discussion. It is a controlled argument. On these forums, that means sticking to the topic, providing facts to support your statement, and avoiding bashing your opponent. It is serious.

e.g: Spinal Architect, I feel, are more technical than Whitesnake, and hence more enjoyable to me. For example, the song {EXAMPLE} is noticeably more difficult to play than {EXAMPLE}.

Discussion

This is less serious, I feel. It is still your opinion, but you can provide as many or as few facts as you like. No matter how silly your idea may seem, if you discuss it well, others are obliged to respect it. It can be serious or humourous.

e.g. I don't like Arch Enemy. They put me to sleep. I find the continual drone and repeated riffs to be somewhat oppressive.

Arguing

Arguing is excessively hammering your point through, ad nauseum, without really regarding or responding to other's posts. It's not really acceptable, and there's a fine line between flaming and arguing. However, there's also not far between discussion and arguing.

e.g. Tool sold out. Whatever you think is wrong.

Flaming

Flaming is when you personally insult a user, a band, without reason.
e.g. METALLICA LICK YOUR SACK YOU STUPID FAG

Trolling

Trolling is flaming simply in order to get a rise out of people.

See:
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Troll

Thanks to Eggo.

------------------------------------

I also updated the rules thread, to make it more user friendly, I hope. There's some new stuff there, so the regulars might like to take a look.

Last edited by Riva; 01-20-2006 at 01:16 AM.