View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
Kif
i dont need no damn title

10. The Offspring - Ixnay On The Hombre
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the disclaimer!" These are the first words you hear when you put on this magnificent piece of punk-rock. Once the joke that is "Disclaimer" is over and done, you are treated to 13 pure pop-punk anthems, filled with the classic Offspring "Woah"'s and fast beats. I always thought this is the best Offspring record, some may disagree but that's just me. It's the borderline between their punk-rock roots and just making pop anthems for the masses. That's probably why I like it so much.

Best track: "Gone Away"

9. Brand New - Your Favourite Weapon
I really wanted to put this ahead of TAYF just to piss of US Dan. The fact that both are quite similar just made the choice harder, but this album falls slightly. Nevertheless, this is one hell of a pop-punk record. Jesse's high-school songwriting skills show here, with lots of angst behind his lyrics (See "Jude Law And A Semester Abroad" and "Seventy Times 7"). But still, he manages to pull off the charm with slower tracks like "Mix Tape" and the acoustic and gritty "Soco Amaretto Lime". It's hard not to like this CD if you like Deja Entendu.

Best track: "Seventy Times 7"

8. Blink-182 - Dude Ranch
From the minute this album begins, you have to appreciate how much fun Blink had when they made it. I mean, songs on this album like "Voyeur", a tale of a peeper, "A New Hope", a tribute to Star Wars", and "Emo", a blatent shot at the genre, really prove the band's old pop-punk style. This album was Blink at their finest, with lots of simple 3 chord melodies and bad singing. But in the end, it's Blink. They could make a CD which is just them shitting for an hour and people would lap it up. So everyone praise this CD like it should be praised, because this is the best of Blink.

Best track: "Pathetic"

7. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?
This album is really underated in my opinion. It's a collection of fantastically played pop-punk songs filled with "meaningful" lyrics. It's nothing that special on paper, but when you listen to it, you begin to realize how good of a band Sum 41 are. They can mix the heavy feel of metal with the catchy side of pop-punk together so well, and it's on this CD it shows best. Granted, from "The Hell Song" to "Hooch", most songs will sound the same. But they are so spectacular, it's just so fun to listen to. And then there's the trademark Sum 41 joke songs at the end. A little bit of a bonus for us Brits, and they make me smile everytime I hear them

Best track: "Hooch"

6. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends
When I first heard "You Know How I Do", and Adam started singing "So sick, so sick of being tired/And oh so tired of being sick", I knew what I was in for. A CD with 10 cheerful songs filled with tongue-in-cheek lyrics and excellent riffs. And this album really does deliver. You can't not like this CD, it's just so happy. Adam's voice might not be the greatest, but you can't help but sing along to the lyrics when you listen to this record. And the music is great as well for a pop-punk album; it's fast and hard, but at the same time it's melodic and amazing.

Best track: "Timberwolves At New Jersey"

5. Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers
In terms of the pop-punk I listen to now, I think this is the first album to get me into it. It's just filled with skate-punk anthems that just make you want to move around all the time. I find myself singing along to a lot of the lyrics everytime I put this CD on. Sure, it isn't musically amazing, but in terms of the genre it's in, this album does it's job of creating anthems and feel-good songs to listen to. Even the finale, "The Ballad", an acoustic song which turns electric, is cheery (Even if the theme is a depressed person who's alone).

Best track: "Penguins And Polarbears"

4. Finch - What It Is To Burn
It's no secret that Finch pretty much started the scene and the music we listen to today. Their ability to mix hardcore and heavy rhythms with catchy pop-punk melodies and lyrics really shines on this CD. And clocking in at just over 1 hour, it's hard to pick a favourite. There is a lot of variety on this CD as well. The poppy theme that is "Letters To You", the chaotically driven "Project Mayhem" or the ballad-esque "Ender" all serve as fantastic anthems for the pop-punk world of the 21st century.

Best track: "What It Is To Burn"

3. Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave
My new favourite band. This was probably one of the best of 2003, and is still high up in my list now (As you can see). It's filled with infectious melodies and angst-ridden lyrics (See "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today), but at the same time, you can see the band never taking themselves too seriously and having fun with their music (See "Chicago Is So Two Years Ago"). Fall Out Boy have risen to become stars of the pop-punk scene, always expressing their hate for how fashion and accessories has to play a part in it. This CD expresses their views so well, and deserves to be in anyone's collection

Best track: "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today"

2. The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About
I took this band 4 years to create this album, but I'm so thankful they did. This album is packed to the brim with catchy pop-punk numbers filled with emotive lyrics. Matt's voice is at it's best on this CD, sounding very powerful and passionate in every song. From the slide intro to "Holiday" to the 'lighters at the ready" piano-based anthem that is "I'll Catch You", this CD is amazing.

Best track: "I'll Catch You"

1. Brand New - Deja Entendu
Most people here know I am obsessed with this band. This is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Lyrically and musically, the album takes you on a journey through sex, drink and guilt and you can feel Jesse pouring his heart out in every song on this. And the music, it's ever-changing. From the jazzy "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades" and "Jaws Theme Swimming" to the acoustic "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" and "Play Crack The Sky" to the pure pop-punk "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" and "Guernica", every song has it's moment on this CD.

Best track: "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't"