Thread: Sound Off
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #74
The Haitian
Go Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx View Post
So what I'd like to ask is.. why? Did we moderators screw up by not having enough oversight to begin with? Is there just an influx of members who are too young? Is there a bad culture on the boards? Are there too few rules, too many?

In short, what's it going to take for you guys to shape up? We need to have a board where people can have fun, but that also has rules and where moderators and members are respected. There are plenty of examples of successful boards across the internet where this is the case... I honestly spend my time at these boards instead of at my own when I seek conversation. This shouldn't be the case.

So I guess we have two options:

1) Moderators and me can become draconian and enforce our authority (which does exist, and has to exist to keep the site running). We can go on banning sprees, delete posts entirely, and clean up spam by deleting anything remotely close to it.

2) You guys can stop acting like jerks to the moderators and members at the site, and create a peer-supported culture that discourages trolls, hackers, and flamers. This means that instead of laughing or posting spam posts in spam threads, you tell people to stop. Pretty simple. It's perfectly possible to have fun without being idiots.

Right now #1 is probably going to happen very soon if things don't shape up. We've lost the impetus to explain our actions to the community, hence the removal of the site forum. We're close to the end of the line.
I would start with #1. Perhaps after people see that this crap won't be tolerated, then #2 will begin to happen on it's own. As it is right now, #2 will never happen though without something to kick start it.

I also think it's good that you got rid of the site forum. People shouldn't have a place to whine about why they were banned. The fact that they were banned should be enough of a reason for them to improve their act and prevent further bans.

I also think your bans are way too short. If anything but the smallest rules were broken (double post, a single post of spam, etc) then permaban or at least ban for a couple of months. If people repeatedly cause trouble then ip ban them or permaban on sight. I'm not around as much as I used to be so I don't know the whole story but some of the programming forums that I frequent have stuff like this in place and I never have to sort through a bunch of garbage like I do on here.

That said, I would definitely understand if you took the forums down. I would of probably done when mxtabs went down.