View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
matt_h
come on forest!

*wanders into forum for the first time in months*

Where's the old one? :P

My kit has a Sabian Xs20 pack (14" Hats, 16" Crash and 20" Ride), I'm looking to expand with a second crash and a splash.

Crash - between the 2 crashes, I want to be able to play one (i.e. not just for accents); I play in a Church band and play a lot of Hillsong United stuff. Options are either get a 18" Crash-Ride, or get a 14" for accents and use the existing 16" for playing.

Splash - 8" or 10", don't mind, though having briefly visited my local drum shop earlier (before I came home from uni so I can't go back easily), 10" don't sound splashy enough for my liking.

So, the questions I have are...

What cymbals go well with the ones I have? I don't want the cymbals to sound out of place, I don't want a flat-sounding splash and I don't want the new crash to be a carbon-copy of my current one sound-wise. What to stay clear of?

I'm a cheap-skate and using eBay, and atm there are Paiste PST5 8" and 10" Splashes ending soon (£20-25 each). I have no idea if it will work well if my existing kit, and don't know if it's splashy enough. There's also a AAX 10" and a K 10".

My local drum shop also has some cheap new Stagg cymbals. Can't remember the line, again which ones are good, which are bad, or should I avoid them all-together?

Budget = under £100 on eBay for the two.