View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
StalkingButler
Artists > Rappers

I love it all. All them classics, that's where I thrive. And I understand the people who call it overrated, but the influence was immense. Someone had to be the first and I try to wrap my head around being this age in 87 when Rakim spit "Paid in Full" or when NWA brought Gangsta Rap to the foreground. My head would of exploded with excitement.

Between the competition, the brotherhood, and/or what the artists had to overcome back then.. when you think about it.. there's a reason why it was the golden age.

Today, many of our hip hop stars have lost their hunger. Other than Dilla and the rich tradition, there's probably a much more sensible reason why Detroit is making some of the best artistic hip hop right now, just look at the turmoil hitting that city. Going from one of the big three cities to an unemployed state of emergency (you got it right Invincible). Those underground artists have something to say. Someone like Lil Wayne.. I couldn't say the same.

"I remember when a rapper was a go getta.. now all these rappers is some hoe niggaz" - Pimp C