View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #43
SonorKen
Out of the dark we came

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherKeeL
whats a rototom?
A roto-tom is a drum that usually comes in a set of 3. They are tuned by rotating the head. Clockwise the drum becomes higher pitched, counter clockwise the tone lowers. You can see some Roto-toms in the D&P section of the site. I did an interview with CrazyDrummer4562 and in his interview he posted pictures of his kit with Roto-toms.

Here is the pic of the roto-toms.

I love the sound of Roto-toms. My kit is too large to add Roto-toms or just about anything else. With the electronics in my kit I can assign Roto-tom .wav files to a set of pads and play them as if I had a set of actual Roto-toms.

I use this technology alot. In alot of The Eagles songs I put in steel drum sounds, and add alot of percussion things to a bunch of songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallicafan1
lol i didnt understand any of that
hahaha its really simple. Every electronic drum sound is a wave file. These are known as .wav files. You can get them anywhere. I took my SPDS, a microphone, a XLR cable, and a extension cord to Lowes (a home improvement store). I put it all in a shopping cart and walked around Lowes banging on stuff. When I found a really cool sound I plugged in the SPDS, sampled the sound and moved on. When I returned I uploaded all of these sounds into my laptop and edited them with Cooledit Pro into usable drum .wav files.

Basically this is how it works. Lets say you and I are friends. You have an antique cowbell that has a totally unique sound. I love the sound of the cowbell, you won't sell it. I bring my SPDS to your house, put my mic on it and strike the cowbell. I now have that exact cowbell sound stored as a .wav file. Next time I am playing a show I assign that .wav file to a certain drum pad. When I strike that pad it makes that unique antique cowbell sound.

All of these .wav files are organized into "patches". A patch is a collection of .wav files that are assigned to individial electronic drum pads. I have 11 drum pads on my kit that I can assign .wav files to.

A perfect example as to how I use this is Tool's Aenema. In the beginning of the song Maynard says, "Hey" 9 times. I have this sampled in my SPDS. When we play a show I strike the pad it is assigned to and Maynards voice comes through the PA and does the 9 heys.
A even better example is Crazy Train by Ozzy. I have him sampled saying, "ALL ABOARD!" then the "AYE AYE AYE" and then I have the exact Vibraslap used in that song sampled. These are 3 seperate .wav files. They are stored on my laptop in a patch called, Ozzy. When we are getting close to the song in the show my drum tech will load the patch and when we start the song it is ready to go.

Last edited by SonorKen; 01-09-2005 at 09:45 PM.