View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #50
will

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk
lol dont get hostile (unless you really are just 14 then ill understand)

my point is, i play guitar (and a few other instruments) and i have grown an appreciation for well done, thought out music. but to the point, my friend is very much into all these "Core" bands, (made me download that am/pm song by her favorite band american nightmare) and i just sat here listening to it like wow, this sucks.

i guess im being hypocritical, i probably would have loved music like this when i was little because its all obnoxious and ****, but i dunno, its not really music and its pretty silly when people compare openly non melodic "noise" to music.

i suggest you guys check out a few bands like Godspeed or Mogwai, Explosions in the sky, Mum, and A silver mount zion, they are whats called "post rock" or "advanced", very melodic, listening to Godspeed and listening to am/pm by american nightmare, the contrast between beauty melody and progressiveness and the blandness and noise of am/pm, is just awe inspiring.
I am 14 and have a very wide range of music - i listen to most of the 'core' bands as descibed in the thread, to mogwai, explosions in the sky, and other melodic post rock, but my taste in music also reaches classical, jazz, pop/rock, and ska. I am sick of constantly being catogorised as an obnoxious teen who only listens to non melodic noise and nu-metal. Sure, I enjoy noise bands (converge, norma jean and the like...) but don't you all think that it is time to stop analysing sub-genres, criticizing people for their music taste, and stereotyping young music fans, and time to start paying attention to what really matters - the musicians, what they stand for, and whether or not the music is what you like?