View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #27
Riouken
Nobody Knows My Name I am Not Shamed There's No one to blame cos nobody knows my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVIC5 View Post
Haha! Amazing.

You hit on the main utility of a capo/tuning up - the open strings. This is what old school solo bassists basically did when they tuned up to F#BEA, the "solo" tuning for many double bass concerto's/concert work. The higher tension and open string possibilities that became open allowed for a much different sound than standard tuning allowed. Much of the talented composer's composition for strings lies in his understanding of how string players play open string's and their particular sound. This is why a lot of music written for string orchestra is in G, D and A - good keys for string players.

How does this translate to electric bass? Well, you might notice that a lot of contemporary music/jazz is written in the keys of F, Bb and Eb, mainly since they're good keys for horns...but unfortunately terrible keys for bass. This, however, is a blessing in disguise, because most contemporary players have spent lots of time shedding in those keys, exploring the techical requirements of the specific keys, and learning how to overcome them.

My point is that although using a capo is good for open strings, which are important maneuverability points in certain keys, you're just shooting yourself in the foot by relying on a capo. From what you just said, it seems like you're going to be using it as a crutch to not practicing in the key of F (having to "find" notes rather than just knowing already where they are). Theres a difference between knowing how to use open strings and NEEDING the open strings in order to play. You shouldn't rely on them by any means.

Absolutely.

There is no reason for you to tell me you NEED a capo! It will be better for you in the long run if you learn how to play in F. This will "free" up your fingers around your whoel fretboard in the key of F and hopefully any other key.