Thread: Blast Beats
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Vinnie's Ice Cream
You want some ice cream!?

Um the Jazz ride cymbal beat is used almost 100% of the time in some form or another in jazz. Blast beats maybe appear 5-10% of the time in metal... if that. Non the less... this part blows me away dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det_Nosnip View Post
Also, he doesn't mention Gene because Gene isn't a blaster and contributed nothing to the development of blastbeats.
And now the teacher shall be taught. And I thought you were big into the metal?

There is an actual blast beat named after Gene, "The Hoglan Blast"

Gene was playing blast beats in Dark Angel - In 1983!
In 1985 they released their first album. Derek Roddy was still in grade school.

In a section of his DVD designated on blast beats, Gene personally lists albums he played blast beats on very very early on in his career. It's a LONG list. The guy has played on so many metal albums it's nuts. He talks about developing them further after seeing some metal bands (drummers) do similar concepts in europe.

Then he goes on to demonstrate how he evolved the concept of blasting while referring to the albums of which those examples can be found.

I know people like to make up history, but this is something that is carved in granite documented fact. You can go listen to the albums yourself.

Gene is famous for his blasts, has a particular one named after him and by all rights is essentially the originator of using it metal, more to the point, popularizing it's use in metal.

The guy is a blast machine. You should really watch his DVD and listen through Gene's discography.

Scroll to :58 seconds in for a short example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGkxNpP8aU

And interestingly enough, Gene credits Stevie Wonder for creating the blast beat -

" I love Stevie Wonder's drumming, he is an amazing drummer, my favorite, totally. And the father of the blastbeat, oddly enough. "

Last edited by Vinnie's Ice Cream; 09-12-2012 at 04:35 PM.