Bartender
morrissey approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fingers
Oh sweet jeebus.
What measure of jeebus is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ashtray Girl
I find his version of Common People hilarious, especially where he goes 'and dance, and drink, and SCREW'. but I don't actually think it's a good cover, per se. Pulp did it so very much better, IMHO.
Fair enough, but like I say, Pulp just always annoyed me anyway. Hearing Capatin Kirk shouting "dance, and drink, and screw!" is something of a highlight, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillInTheBlankHere__
Excellent review, though I'm still not convinced that I actually want to listen to a spoken word album. (Though Adrien Belew is tempting...)
It depends what you're thinking of as a spoken word album though, because here, it's not literally some guy talking for forty minutes (which is more or less what I thought a spoken word album was supposed to be, before buying this). There's plenty of music here, guest musicians and guest vocalists (though they never take the main line in a song, except maybe Henry Rollins), and though Shatner doesn't sing, he's an actor, so his voice has some measure of rhythm - especially Shatner's voice in particular. Can't blame you for being apprehensive, though, and I'm still not sure what kind of music your tastes run to (except that so far it falls under "awesome).

Thanks everyone, for comments, and thanks br3ad, for being someone who also likes this album quite a bit (something which I wasn't expecting).