View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
GoodVibration

Timing, Measures, tempo, beats, and accents and syncopation

Hello everyone,

i just joined this site and im looking for other sites like this to talk to other musicians to converse on topics relating to theory mainly... I listen to all types of music and plan on majoring in music. I have a little less than fundamental foundation of theory but i am reading anythin i can get my hands on and trying to learn sight reading by sept of 09. SO thats my goal, right now im in a music theory class. If someone could explain time signatures for me id appreciate it, im having trouble distinguishes downbeats and upbeats.. I understand the notation symbols as far as the top number indicates how many beats occupy a measure and the bottom number indicates what the notes duration is. BUt i need help understanding beats, measure, tempo, meters and esp. syncopation.... I need a good book or something because when i use the books that come with cds i can never distinguish the diferrence between beats and measures. To me most phrases could all be played in 4/4... Just at different tempos... ANyways thanks if any help... And is it just me or are there on 2 topics posted in this forum?? Is this site new?
GoodVibration is offline   Reply With Quote