View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
Kage
Komitet Gosudarstvennoy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute
Probably an acquired taste for those already into Post-rock, but you should all listen to Thee Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra And Tralala Band. They're closely connected to Godspeed!, sharing several members, but I actually like them more. Recommend in particular the 'Horses in the Sky' album.

I just went to see them live last night, and was completely blown away. Quite a small venue, a local independant thing. The seven band members were fairly tightly packed onto the stage. But good lord did they rule. Two guitars and a drummer who occasionally also played guitar, and a string quartet. Every member of the band provided backing vocals as well.

That sets them apart from Godspeed, who don't use vocals much... Efrim has a very strange voice. Not a good singer in the technical sense, but it fits the music very well.

Recommended!
I want to see them live so bad. But they're not coming here any time in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, as a lot of people may know, I'm a Post Rock nut. It's my favorite genre of music basically. I remember stumbling upon an Explosions in the Sky song for the first time, and thinking to myself, "this is the kind of band I've always been looking for." It snowballed from there, and now I'm immersed.

Godspeed, to me, is definately the best Post Rock (and probably my all time favorite) band, but I basically like it all.

Lately, I've also been getting into the first wave of Post Rock. What a lot of people may not realize is that the most recognized PR bands are really among the second (or even third) wave of it. At the beginning, it was a different, more jazzy mentality, but still damn good. I recommend everyone check out Bark Psychosis, Tortoise and Slint.