View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #86
ameranth15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHATEgc
**Decided to bring this into the Punk Forum. If it turns into a spam/agrument thread then close it as soon as possible. It's meant for education and actual discussion.

This is for those of you who throw around the the phrase hardcore far too often.

Metalcore is often mistaken for Hardcore on these boards. Here's the difference.

Hardcore is punk influenced music that sometimes has a heavier sound and sometime's doesn't. It sometimes have breakdowns and some don't, this depends more on the age of the band. Some are straight edge, some aren't. But most have honest sincere lyrics about issues that they themselves face.

Metalcore is obviously metal influenced and because they're of this there is more complexity in the writings of guitar, more noted riffs added to it than hardcore has.. Some say that it has punk influences...but that depends on what band you are talking about. Metalcore has a lot of breakdowns, most of which have the "JUN JUN JUN" sound which some double bass. Metalcore was a lot better a couple years ago before more and more band's started learning that you can tune into drop-C, use only thin picks, and get a drummer who knows his double bass.

Hardcore bands:
American Nightmare, Black Flag, Comeback Kid, Floorpunch, Ten Yard Fight, No Innocent Victim, Dodgin Bullets, With Honor, Gorilla Biscuits, Mouthpiece, Sworn Enemy, Sworn In, Over My Dead Body, Minor Threat, Mental, My Luck, The Promise, Throwdown, Stretch Arm Strong, Terror, Until The End, What Feeds The Fire, Some Kind Of Hate, Champion, Count Me Out, Without Warning, Most Precious Blood, Modern Life Is war, Scrotum Grinder, No Warning...

Metalcore bands:
On Broken Wings, Scarlet, Every Time I Die, This Day Forward, The Bled, Scars Of Tomorrow, Love Is Red, Cataract, Bleeding Through, Norma Jean, Nora, As I Lay Dying, Beauty To Ashes, Thirty Called Arson, Unearth, With Resistance, Botch, Underoath, Himsa, Evelynn, Darkest Hour, Atreyu, It Dies Today...

MORE

Grindcore in its purest form consisted of short, apocalyptic blasts of noise played on standard heavy metal instrumentation (distorted guitar, bass, drums). Although grindcore wasn't just randomly improvised, it certainly didn't follow conventional structure, either; while riffs could sometimes be picked out, pure grindcore never featured verses, choruses, or even melodies. Grindcore vocals sounded torturous, ranging from high-pitched shrieks to low, throat-shredding growls and barks; although the lyrics were usually quite verbose, they were very rarely intelligible. Some bands in this catagory can also be known as Mathcore. Meaning they're more complex in the musical writings.

Grindcore bands:
Napalm Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Death, Carcass, The Locust, The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, Cock and Ball Torture, Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed...

Emo style has become broader over the years. In the beginning, these bands consisted mostly of people who played in hardcore punk bands, got burned out its limited forms, and moved to a guitar-oriented, midtempo rock-based sound with emotional punk vocals (i.e., no posed soulful crooning like pop music). The central aspect here is the guitars - distorted, strummed mostly in duo unison, with occasional catchy riff highlights. This becomes known as the classic "D.C. sound," along with the octave chords that show up in later "emo" music. Later bands bring in more pop elements, like catchy-riff based songs, pop song structures (listen to Jawbreaker's "Chesterfield King" to illustrate this), and less-punk, more-smoothly-sung high-register singing (less yelling, straining, throatiness). Listen to Elliot or Chamberlain for an example of how alternative-pop this music has become. Yet those bands are undeniably still emocore. Also note most emo bands play Gibson Les Paul guitars, with a few SGs, and use mostly Marshall JCM-800 amps...Emo has recently evolved into something more complex since the D.C. era. Bands have adopted to more obscure lyrics along with intricate riffs and interesting vocals.

Emo bands:
Rites of Spring, Embrace, Gray Matter, Ignition, Dag Nasty, Monsula, Fugazi kind of, Fuel, Samiam, Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music, Elliot, Friction, Soulside, early Lifetime, Split Lip/Chamberlain, Kerosene 454
YOU SUCK!!!!!! Go away!!!!!!