View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
El_Shiznit
Including Violence

Psychobilly Education

Yeah Yeah, unoriginal title...

I've heard many people asking about bands such as Tiger Army, so I will go ahead and do a thread on their genre.

Psychobilly
Origins of psycobilly are as unknown as punk itself. It seems no one knows for sure, though common belief is that it began somewhere in Europe. But no one knows for sure, so don't quote me on that. So what is psycobilly to be exact? It is a mix of punk and good ol' 50's rockabilly. A lot of bands in the genre play mostly a faster version of rockabilly. More of the speed of fast punk. Makes sense right? Psychobilly isn't very well-known, however it does attract a large variety of fans. You have the punks, hardcores, greasers, and the class created by the music: psychos. As well as others, but the afore-mentioned make up the majority of the psychobilly fanbase. You could consider this a near direct throwback to the 50's, until you listen to some prime examples of psychobilly lyrics. Most speak of horror, death, demons, etc. They are pretty much the Misfits of Rockabilly. **On a side note, Misfits did release a psychobilly song entitled "American Nightmare."** Also, most psychobilly bands have a stand-up bass instead of a normal bass. This adds a unique effect and style to the music. There are only a few exceptions that do not have a stand-up bass. As there are only a few exceptions to the point I made about psychobilly's dark lyrics.

Good Psychobilly Bands:

Reverend Horton Heat
Blue Demon - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/bluedemon.htm
The Nekromantix
Tiger Army (most songs are exception to the lyrics statement)
Horrorpops
The Cramps (exception to the stand-up bass statement; in fact, on some songs there is no bass at all)
The Meteors
Batmobile
Mad Sin
Demented Are Go!
The Dead
Stray Cats

*If you feel like checking out others, here is a pretty comprehensive list: http://www.wreckingpit.com/psycho/bands.php3

**If a band isn't on that website or is not listed and you feel like mentioning them, post a link if you could, or see if you can soulseek it. I will add the band to the list above along with the link. Otherwise, I will not be adding any more to the list.

***One more thing, no spamming please!!!

Last edited by El_Shizzy; 11-28-2004 at 07:44 PM.