View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 04:42 PM   #7
spastic
FreeMusicNo1

Thanks for stickying those, Ikik

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to theory:

I have another 'lesson' planned out, but first I need to explain some chord theory. For playing jazz, this is ESSENTIAL, especially for guitarists because most of the time you will be plaing chords.

Chords are constructed by "stacking" thirds, or adding thirds. (Remember that a 3rd is a 1 and b3 or 1 and 3 from my interval lesson) The simplest type of chord is a triad: the root, the 3rd, and the 5th. And, as you probably know, the 3rd is what creates a Major or Minor sound (without a 3rd the chord is called 'sustain,' or sus). So, to play a Major triad, you play the root (1), 3, and 5. A C Major triad is C E G.

If you add a third onto that chord, you create a "7 chord." Now, your chord is composed of the root (1), 3rd, 5th, and 7th. A C Major 7 chord is C E G B.

Now, adding thirds onto the 7th starts to create the tension tones: the 9th, 11th, and 13th. As you probably see, these are just the tones that would be added when you "stack" even more thirds. So, a C Major 13 chord would consist of all the tones in the major scale: C E G B D F A.

NOTE: When playing minor chords, remember that all the tensions will be based off the Aeolian scale, unless indicated otherwise. So, a Minor 13 chord would be composed of the root (1), b3, 5, b7, 9, 11, b13.

Sometimes chords will list alterations in its usual tensions, and it is very important to pay attention to these. For instance, sometimes you will see a C b9 b13. This means that the normal tones (1, 3, 5, 7) willbe dominant, but the tensions will be b9, 11, b13. So, a C b9 b13 will be played like C E G Bb Db F Ab.

In my next lesson I will explain how to use these tensions to improvise with. Also, this lesson was basically laying down a lot of info down at once, so i doub tsomeone that has never learned any of this will be able to pick it all up. For specific questions, AIM me: FreeMusicNo1 or ask it in this thread. And, while I got the main points, I left some stuff out that would clear up confusion, so anyone that knows his stuff is free to add on to it.