View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Jaundice
watch that speed freak

R&M Krautrock Orientation/Appreciation Party

KRAUTROCK. Experimental German music from the late sixties and early seventies that took cues from early psychedelia and went on to set the prototype for Industrial, Post-Punk, Ambient, Techno, Prog, Gangsta Rap. I did a search and found one or two threads in the Other Music forum, so now I think it’s time for R&M to have its first semi-exhaustive kraut appreciation thread.

Brief History: In the late sixties, Germany was still in upheaval after World War Two. The younger generation set out to establish a new musical identity. Many studied under contemporary composers like Karlheinz Stockhausen while also being influenced by new music from overseas— Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, The Velvet Underground. Factor in the influence of Dada and Surrealism, anarchist attitudes, hallucinogenic drugs. This is just going off the top of my head. For the full story, seek out one of two out-of-print and very expensive anthologies— krautrocksampler or Crack in the Cosmic Egg.

Notable Bands

Can - The most infamous and probably the best of all Kosmiche sounds, also the band I namedrop every time I’m trying to get in a pretentious indie girl’s pants. Formed in Cologne in 1968, the original line-up included American sculptor Malcolm Mooney, the godfather of sampling Holger Czukay, free-jazz pro Jaki Leibezeit, Irmin Schmidt and the now deceased Michael Karoli. Their earliest recordings are minimal improvisational rock jams. After their vocalist Mooney had a nervous breakdown, he was replaced by Damo Suzuki and the band released several classic albums (Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, Soundtracks) that mixed psychedelic, progressive, free jazz and ethnic instrumentation.

Kraftwerk - Formed from the ashes of the project Organisation, Kraftwerk is, at its core, Florian Schneider and Ralf Hutter. Their first albums were instrumental efforts full of experimentation, before adding more members and eventually (through the help of producer Conny Plank) settling into a unique sound that is considered the earliest precursor to all modern synthpop, electro, industrial. Minimal, detached numbers performed with synths, drum machines, and the notorious vocoder.

Ash Ra Tempel - One of the most overbearingly psychedelic bands to come from the movement. Formed in 1971 by Klaus Schulze and Manual Gottsching, after their experiences with Eruption, Tangerine Dream and other notable German bands. Throughout line up changes, they released several albums in the early seventies before becoming Ashra and producing electronic music. Their self-titled debut is a landmark in the genre. Their third album, Seven Up, was recorded with Timothy Leary on guest vocals while every one in the studio drank from a bottle laced with acid. Just to give an idea of how cool they were.

Faust - A more enigmatic kraut band formed in 1971. While still making albums to this day, their first five albums between 71 and 74 are the records they are best known for. Considered a crucial influence on Throbbing Gristle, this band put out some of the earliest music to be considered industrial. A bizarre blend of psychedelia, prog-rock jamming and tape-loop experiments.

Cluster - Kluster was formed in the late sixties by performers at the Zodiac Free Arts Lab. After releasing two studio albums, Conrad Schnitzler left the group, and the remaining members renamed the outfit Cluster. They continued to release albums in the same vein as Kluster; long rhythm-less pieces made from noise and electronic drones. In 1974, the band took a different route with Zuckerzeit, creating short, ambient pieces which had a great influence on Brian Eno.

Other Important Bands That I Don’t Have Time To Write About:

Amon Duul
Amon Duul II
Popol Vuh
Tangerine Dream
Agitation Free
Neu!
Cosmic Jokers
Embryo
Guru Guru

Party Favors:

I will edit in a link to a .rar with all of this **** in it
Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
Can - Tago Mago
Faust - Faust
Cluster - ‘71 (in .m4a format)

If you don’t like this music you’re a large bundle of sticks. Discuss.

Dipsetttt