View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #38
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie's Ice Cream View Post
All that aside. Still a silly head choice for showing off your fancy product.

Given the history of radial bridge drum designs, the odds are not in the favor of Guru by any means.
I dont see how wanting to test them to see which head will sound the best on their drums is silly considering how much different heads can add or subtract from the sound.

As for the history of the radial drums, they having been doing quite well, Whitney has been selling a radial drum for a long time and the Pearl free floating snare has also sold well, the Peavey radials sold very well in the last several years of production until disagreements between Hartley Peavey and the inventor Steven Volpp caused them to part ways and cease production. Guru and BW are both getting substantial orders already so I think they are both gonna do just fine.

Like I have said many times, when I bought my radials I already owned a set of Tama rockstars, Pearl masters and Yamaha MCAs and I had sold my rockstars to get another set of drums so I would still have 3 sets, one for home, one for gigging and one for the rehearsal space. When I got to the store they had another set of both the Yamahas and the Pearls plus a set of maple DW's and the Radials, at the time I never even heard of them or tried them and after trying all the others was going to get the MCAs but the guy told me if I am gonna shell out that kinda cash I should give the radials a go too, they were by far the best sounding drums in the store and I had to go back and try them on 3 or 4 different occasions to be absolutely sure of what I was hearing before buying them. I eventually went with what my ears told me and bought them and ended up selling my other 2 kits because I ended up using the radials for everything.

BTW using a tension watch would not be make it a fair A/B test, as what would be tuned to their sweet spot for one drum may not be the sweet spot for another, and certain drums may even like different heads as well.

The Gurus will be at the London drum show for anyone that is going they can try them and anyone around the Michigan area can slip over to Boogie Woodie and try the new radials as well. Keep in mind the BW's are a ultra thin 2.3 mmm ply shell drum like the original radials where as the Gurus are either stave or steam bent and the price is gonna reflect that fact. Plus I know about 300 radial pro owners and if anyone really wants to try them I am sure I can find someone near you that owns a set that would let to try them so you can see for yourself how much of a difference there really is when you remove all the stress, holes, lugs and mounting brackets from the actual shell itself.

Last edited by tard; 09-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.