View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
icebliink
mx newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsDance View Post
I am not sure about the people who always claim that old hip hop better than the new stuff. all they see when they're looking back is Tupac, B.I.G. - some of them maybe even A tribe Called Quest and Gangstarr. When they look at the current charts, they only see artists like lil' wayne and nikki minaj. but there were always bad artists and good ones. just because they're mainstream and widely known, doesn't mean that they should be the impersonation of new hip hop. By the way - what means 'old' and 'new'?
I've always thought of it like this: The mainstream hip hop back in the day is superior to modern day mainstream hip hop. Therefore the generalization becomes that old school hip hop is better than newer hip hop.

To be honest, as someone who doesn't really listen to pac or biggie that much, I don't see how anyone can dispute that pac and big are leaps and bounds better than their new school counterparts (lil wayne, drake, minaj etc). In terms of lyrical content and soulfulness I think modern day mainstream hip hop is a joke. The topics that made hip hop what it was, the struggle of trying to make it in a new genre that wasn't accepted by everyone and the struggle of growing up in rough areas riddled with poverty, just arn't there anymore. Drake and Lil Wayne don't have the kind of passion that say Wu-Tang clan or Gang Starr had. Not to say that a struggle is essential to make good music, because there were plenty of heavy hitters back in the day talking about other things like De La Soul or Beastie Boys. That being said I do think the underground scene has been fairly consistent through time. I'd actually argue that it has gotten better if you consider the likes of DOOM, Cunninlynguists, Illogic, Blueprint, etc.