View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
tard
The Ugly Duckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie's Ice Cream View Post
Not sure where you got those prices from, perhaps that's from the exchange rate? In which case.. that is a bummer. But those certainly are not the prices here in America from CDX

Pretty basic math. No idea why shipping to you would be $70, that seems very off.

Tips chip from bad hits. Period. No if ands or buts about it. It's a common problem - You are chipping tips because you are catching rims, edges, etc
You need to address fixing your technique, not mask the problem with a bandaid.
Well thats the prices they quoted me last fall and just double checked it on their website, here is the link if you wanna try it yourself: http://www.customdrumstix.com/all-drum-sticks/custom-sticks.html
Base price $5 per pair , tip type = nylon +$2 per, taper = medium, length = 16, dia. = .596, finish = smooth, no lacquer, no color, 12 pairs qualifies for 1 extra pair so 13 pairs and price is $7 x 12 pair = $84 + shipping to canada = Federal Express International Economy $62.22 or International Priority $69.12. But your right, pretty basic math!

As for chipping sticks, I have been playing for over 33 years and the same kit for over 12 and I can assure you its not from catching edges or rims, there are never any marks on my heads anywhere close to the rims and I hit cymbals on the shoulders of my sticks. I have had pieces of the tip fall out using them riding a bow and had it happen on my practice pad kit as well which has flat rubber coated pads with no edges or rims to hit. When looking at the tips of the sticks afterward its not like they are dented or nicked, its actually pieces of the wood separating on the grain and falling out or off and if they do it they seem to do it within the first few minuets of use.

BTW I talked to a few music stores today and although there are more wood tip sticks available than nylon tip sticks which make the wood tips a bigger seller the sticks that are available with both wood and nylon tips such as 2's, 3's, 5's, 7's, 8's etc, the nylon tip version out sells the wood version by about 2 to 1, so I guess a few people still use them.

Last edited by tard; 04-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.