View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #315
jazzfunkboy
So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaRiddleDiddle
So you can use the full altered scale (to my knowledge, it consists of 1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6, 7) over any chord with an alteration in it? Such as Am7b5? Because to my ear, it sounds rather dissonant and chromatic...Or over Am7b5, is the locrian mode in the key of Bb major (perhaps with a natural 2) more preferable?

So what common alterations exist? I've seen flattened and sharpened fifths and ninths often, but less alterations to elevenths and thirteenths...And how do you decide what alterations to use? Is it by ear, resolution, intervals, or some other formula?

i think alot of it is just by ear. like your question about the Am7b5, you could use the locrian mode. but there are tons of other scales you could use also (second and fourth modes of the the harmonic minor scale, etc.). i think alot of it is personal preference. im finding more and more everyday that jazz theory is so complex because its so abstract. alot of it is just doing what you feel.

now i have a question: dominant sharp 9 chords? do they include the major third as well as the sharp 9 (minor third)?

example: E7#9 = E G# B D G?

i think its just an excuse to play in the dorian mode without saying it .