View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
Angry Balled Fists!
rancid dan

37. Motion City Soundtrack
Motion City Soundtrack featured Joshua Cain (guitar), Tony Thaxton (drums), Justin Pierre (vocals/guitar), Jesse Johnson (moog), and Matthew Taylor (bass). The indie rock quintet originally formed in 1999 when Pierre and Cain were still in high school. The two were big fans of Sunny Day Real Estate, Jawbox, the Flaming Lips, and Superchunk, and those influences spurred their own band. Motion City Soundtrack self-released a 7" before the start of 2000, but it wasn't until Taylor, Thaxton, and Johnson joined the group that things came together. Thaxton and Taylor moved from Richmond, VA, to the band's hometown of Minneapolis, MN, and the band immediately started recording with producer/engineer Ed Rose (Get Up Kids, Ultimate Fakebook). Motion City Soundtrack's punk-glazed debut, I Am the Movie, was released in summer 2003. The Mark Hoppus-produced Commit This to Memory followed two years later.

drum4weezer36

36. Straylight Run
Straylight Run, created by Shaun Cooper and John Nolan (formally of Taking Back Sunday), formed in Long Island, New York in 2003. They released their self-titled debut on Victory Records in 2004, and the album became an instant hit. Straylight Run combines the soothing sounds of pianos and acoustic guitars with moving, emotional lyrics to create songs unlike any others found in pop-punk today. They are considered one of the more unique bands in recent memory, and their popularity is expected to grow.

Emoscreamopunk

35. Bigwig
New Jerseyian legendary speed-freaks and skatecore kings with as much
hardcore as power-pop mixed into their secret recipe for the perfect
pop-punk sound. Filling album after album - on renowned labels like Kung Fu
and Fearless - with blazing riffs, double-beats and catchy vocals hasn't
kept these guys off the road for long periods of time. Get ready to be blown
away by their 2006 release!

Fat Pete

34. Screeching Weasel
Although kids with green day caps don't know it, their favorite band owes a lot of their fame to the very influencial pop punk bands of the eighties, screeching weasel being one of them. They started off in 1986 as a generic hardcore punk band. They quickly changed to a more melodic sound, but the raw music is still noticable on their first album, oogada boogada boogada. Despite splitting up a couple of times, they would become one of the finest bands in the pop punk genre, even without getting any mainstream success.

Skatemasterbater

33. Goldfinger
One of the bands that contributed to the mini explosion of new-wave Ska Punk in Calafornia in the late 90's. Formed in 1994, The band released their first full length, S/T album a year later (aided no-doubt by the popularity of Ska-Punk at the time). The first single from the album - Here in your Bedroom - recived fairly wwide radio play across America, and the video recived much circulation on music channels. The band toured on the Van's Warped tour later that year. In 1997 the band released their second full length album called Hangups, then followed that up with the much less Ska-sounding, much more pop-punk vibed album Stomping Ground. The single/video combo of the bands Nena cover 99 Red Balloons was an instant hit. The band followed up with Open Your Eyes in 2002 and most recently Disconnection Notice in 2005. The bands long running carreer has been carrying the flag for happy fun pop punk/ska-punk which appeals to a great mass of angsty teenagers.

Oz Rembrant

32. New Found Glory
A New Found Glory formed in the summer of 1997 in Coral Springs, FL.
Known for their energetic live shows, the group toured up and down the
East Coast, and quickly sold out their debut EP: All About the Girl.
The full-length Nothing Gold Can Stay followed in 1999, and shortly
thereafter, A New Found Glory signed to major-label MCA and
re-released the LP later that year. From the Screen to Your Stereo EP
came in the spring of 2000, followed shortly by the full-length New
Found Glory later that year. A high-profile tour with Blink-182 and an
appearance on the Warped Tour helped them gain more mainstream
exposure, and following the tours they stepped back into the studio to
work on the follow-up. The result was 2002's Sticks and Stones. The
single "My Friend's Over You" was a huge hit, and helped snag NFG a
headlining spot for the 2002 Warped Tour jaunt. After the tour and its
resulting hype, A New Found Glory re-entered the studio once again.
The result, released in May 2004, was Catalyst, which meshed the
band's original Pop-Punk sound with more Hardcore and New Age
influences.

ZeppelinFan2k3

31. My Chemical Romance
Hailing from New Jersey, My Chemical Romance have had huge success since their formation by front man Gerard Way and ex-drummer Matt Pelissier in 2001. Their first album, entitled ‘I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love’ released on Eyeball Records in 2002, included the track ‘Headfirst For Halos’ and earned them an underground following. But it was not until 2 years later when the group would release the hugely popular ‘Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge’, catapulting them from underground fame to mainstream stardom. This latest album from the band includes the singles ‘Helena’ and ‘I’m Not Okay (I Promise)’, and has earned them a huge army of fans. The band’s current line up includes Mikey Way on bass, Ray Toro and Frank Iero on guitar and Bob Bryar replacing Matt on the drums. My Chemical Romance have a UK tour in November and are currently writing songs for their third album, to be released next year.

Poprocksandcoke

Last edited by Angry Balled Fists!; 09-01-2005 at 02:53 PM.