View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 06:34 AM   #49
the_almighty_face
See you, space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoroaster
Spastic:

I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble, but your grasp of music theory is as primitive as a rock. You fail to even touch upon the surface of enharmonic intervals; an imperative in jazz, and how it can be interrelated with tritone substitution. I suggest that you comprehend musical theory in its entirety beforehand you elevate yourself to the status of "Theory Guru".

P.S:
I have listened to your 'compositions' and I can only designate them with the term: pretentious. Your music is solely comprised of incoherent and dampening injections whose singular purpose is to impress upon the audience a sense of superiority. That, sir, is the mark of failure.

A dated argument I know, but what spastic is doing is giving a structured series of theory lessons to someone who knows the basics but needs to elaborate on their knowledge of theory if they want to expand into jazz. These threads of his have been totally invaluable to me, as have the suggestions, and probably also to dozens of other people. And youre talking about trying to impress a 'sense of superiority.' If you see something you think aught to be here, like enharmonic intervals, post an article.

Speaking of which, im not sure if triads and inversions have been covered, they are kind of important. I can probably get a fairly simplistic article done and up if you fancy sharing the thread.