View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 AM   #1
br3ad_man
out of touch

Featured Artist #14: M83

M83

M83 are a duo from France who create interesting electronic music, often sounding simultaniously like Sigur Ros, Aphex Twin and My Bloody Valentine. In 2000, at just 20 years old, the two French lads decided to quit playing guitar music and to make music that was different. As the group put it, they decided to "look to the stars". Their name comes from the name of a distant galaxy and the group's sound reflects this. There is really not much information about the group's lives, and why should there be? There aren't many images of them readily avaliable because M83 are entirely focused on their music. There aren't many stories about their personal lives because, well, they are only in their early 20s. This is the stuff that aliens listen to in their cars, on the radio on their way to work.

The group released their first album in 2001 on the Gooom label at just 21 years old. "Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts" was released in very late December 2003 (the 23rd). The album had only been finished earlier in the month. Critics often compare the group to bands such as My Bloody Valentine and Mogwai. The group say that until they read the comparisons to My Bloody Valentine, they had never even heard of the band. M83 have recently said that they have "freed themselves of all influences" for their second album, "Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts". In their latest record, however (to be released very soon), M83 seem to have gone back to the drawing board with influences and used as many different sounds as they can. The band's sound creates vivid images in the listener's head of vast landscapes.

M83 now have three albums under their belt (their latest is soon to be released to the public) are still in their early/mid 20s. With no sign of creative juices running out, the future looks bright for M83. This fact alone gives us some idea of the amount of talent in this band. M83 have what so many other electronic artists forget to add to their sound: soul. Their songs are emotional and experimental at the same time. M83 are going from strength to strength. May they live long.

Web Links

[URL=www.ilovem83.com]M83's official website: listen to a full album here[/url]

[URL=http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/interviews/m/m83-04/]Pitchfork Interview[/url]

Discography

M83

Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts

Before The Dawn Heals Us

Reccomended Listening

Gone
Run Into Flowers
Unrecorded
Beauties Can Die

all from "Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts". Hear them at www.ilovem83.com

Similar Artists

My Bloody Valentine
Rob Dougan
Aphex Twin
Sigur Ros
Radiohead

Last edited by br3ad_man; 01-18-2005 at 01:11 AM.