View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #52
Epidemechanical
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChild View Post
Yeah, it's taking a risk. But I can honestly say it's gotta be one of the most ingenious stylistic splices in modern music history.

I had apprehensions for a while but I finally got around to listening to The Land of Rape and Honey earlier and I'm actually feeling it. It's simple and kind of silly but it has some grooves.

Been thinking about it for a while and I suppose I can't put it off much longer, I'm about to stock up on industrial records. That idea I had about listening to only post-punk/african chants/dub-step for a few months was misguided anyaway
i find it incredibly difficult to hate NIN or trent reznor - and in my music community its either love or hate for him no in-between

most of the arguments i hear for why NIN sucks are based around the pop appeal and the sheer accessibility of reznor's music. which is really ironic because reznor probably should be one of the biggest influences of anybody who does music themselves (which most of the fringe EBM/industrial bands have to do)

he does it all alone - and i think creates some really good stuff. the newer albums since "With Teeth" were pretty lackluster but the early material is some of the best and most important music ever made for this genre, and reznor is easily the first step into understanding this world of sound imo (another first step by comparison would be skinny puppy, etc)

but anyways, threadstarter, you should check out these two bands i've been into for the past year or so. they are relatively unknown and not cared about, but for some reason i just always think of them for this genre

http://www.myspace.com/empusa

http://www.myspace.com/blackswaninsurgency

its EBM industrial done right, i love the vocalist. (same vocalist for both projects.) the first is typical cybergoth style EBM, second is a sort of strange anarchist/punk EBM vibe. really interesting break from the a-typical "blood and gore" theme.