Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   My bass pedal is trying to kill me... (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305695)

Repercussionist 02-22-2005 05:24 AM

My bass pedal is trying to kill me...

Here's the situation- my kit is set up so that there is a wall right up against my back. My bass pedal has a nut on the top. I have to bend my leg over almost touching my bass drum, as I have so little space. And sometimes, when my bass pedal swings back, after a beat, the nut will catch my shin as it comes forwards again... I get some pretty deep gouges, and always in the same place.

Any ideas on how to stop this? Aside from the obvious turn your kit around, which I cant, or move your kit forward, which I can't...

Moriason 02-22-2005 05:28 AM

There IS only one solution, which quite literally is to move it around. Shouldn't be playing if it isn't ergonomically fit to do so.

Though I'm not sure why there's a nut sticking out of the front of your bass pedal.

Double Bass Jim 02-22-2005 05:40 AM

You have to move your kit, you can't compromise comfort or else your going to end up hurting yourself which it sounds like you already have.

Find a better possition for your drums were you can play freely and relaxed.

DxRocker 02-22-2005 05:45 AM

[QUOTE=Repercussionist]Aside from the obvious turn your kit around, which I cant, or move your kit forward, which I can't...[/QUOTE]

well, in that case, there is not much left to say, now is there?

You'll have to move it dude...
Get the whole room upside down if you have to...
Move some furniture around, maybe just move out whatever pieces of furniture you can miss or whatever... I don't know.

Playing like this certainly is no option...

JayCav 02-22-2005 07:15 AM

how big is the room u play in?

Dan - The Black Line Theory 02-22-2005 08:21 AM

get shin pads

PrescribedNonsense 02-22-2005 08:34 AM

On my pedal I can adjust how far back the mallet goes, so if I were in that situation I'd put it closer to the drum. This is going to give you less force but, Less Force > Hurting Yourself

LostInMusic464 02-22-2005 08:56 AM

Yea, there should be no reason that something fun like drumming should be hurting you. I would understand if you were a skateboarder... etc.

puppet.master 02-22-2005 09:41 AM

wear thicker pants like jeans

JHK 02-22-2005 10:24 AM

I'm not really sure what you are describing. Is the nut on top of the beater head? If that's the case, can you twist your foot a little, so the head doesn't hit you on the rebound? Also, try adjusting the beater lower, so that it does not swing back as far. You might also try putting some tape around the nut so at least it won't cut you if you do hit it.

trysthedrummer 02-22-2005 11:40 AM

I think this calls for a re-positioning of your drum kit, - unless the room you are in is perfectly square so moving it will make no difference.

Drum Boy 02-22-2005 11:49 AM

You should not be playing in a position like that, its not healthy!

Move your kit- only solution!

playwithfire 02-22-2005 02:00 PM

The others are right, moving your kit is the only way to fix the problem. Treat your bass pedal with the same respect you want it to treat you with, play in a more comfortable position, then both of you have more room to "do your thing" :p.

puppet.master 02-22-2005 02:32 PM

or wear pants

drumsforcrack 02-22-2005 03:24 PM

i had the same problem, then i got a new pedal and guess what

it stopped

Linkinbassist 02-22-2005 03:26 PM

Dude, just pad the top of the pedal with medical gauze and duct tape...

DemonicRubberDucky 02-22-2005 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=Repercussionist]Here's the situation- my kit is set up so that there is a wall right up against my back. My bass pedal has a nut on the top. I have to bend my leg over almost touching my bass drum, as I have so little space. And sometimes, when my bass pedal swings back, after a beat, the nut will catch my shin as it comes forwards again... I get some pretty deep gouges, and always in the same place.
[/QUOTE]

Hehehe... killer bass drum pedal, an interesting concept.

I agree with Drum Boy.

It's not healthy, developes bad drumming habits, and if you continue this, you'll have an interesting scar to tell your buds about.

Yeah, i agree with practically every other poster here: move your drum set. Unless you literally can't, in that case, cover your shins with something.

Repercussionist 02-23-2005 01:58 AM

Alright, thanks...

But I'm in a completely square room, with just enough space for wardrobe, bed desk and kit... there is NO way I can move my kit. I might try using my riding shinpads.

*Can't believe I didn't think of it before... :upset: *

drumbumman 02-23-2005 10:54 PM

I Dont Quite Get What U Mean

MartinGoff 02-24-2005 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=Repercussionist]Alright, thanks...

But I'm in a completely square room, with just enough space for wardrobe, bed desk and kit... there is NO way I can move my kit. I might try using my riding shinpads.

*Can't believe I didn't think of it before... :upset: *[/QUOTE]

Only one thing for it, the wardrobe, bed and desk will have to go!

alvyn 02-24-2005 03:06 AM

move your kit outside? it sounds as if you're in a very hunched position at your kit.if you can't sit comfortably at your drumset, you won't be able to practice for long :thumb:

Double Bass Jim 02-24-2005 03:06 AM

If your in a tight space take everything out of the room and replace it one by one, I've seen some pretty tight practice spaces in my time. You can get by if you try hard enough to re-arrange.