Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archives (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Sum 41's "Pieces" = Coldplay's "A Rush of Cold Blood To The Head" (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291502)

Kirk's Puppet 01-18-2005 03:29 AM

Sum 41's "Pieces" = Coldplay's "A Rush of Cold Blood To The Head"

I might have messed Coldplay's song name... but you get the point. I enjoy Sum 41's music more than Coldplay (Coldplay blows >_<) but this recording really does make it a bit... you know, belieavable that Sum 41's a big rip-off.

[url]http://www.jbarkerdesign.com/UML/coldsum.htm[/url]

What do you guys think? I personally think that it's all a coincidence and it's just a similar song structure. It's not ripping off until you recognise it easily like "The Bitter End" and "Battery" right? I mean, who the heck would notice this...?

Paranoidd 01-18-2005 06:47 AM

There are many songs which use similar chord progressions, both intentionally and unintentionally. That one is pretty funny though.

munky_magik 01-18-2005 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Paranoidd]There are many songs which use similar chord progressions, both intentionally and unintentionally. That one is pretty funny though.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting to see if anyone is going to make a fuss over your avatar.

Epicurus 01-18-2005 06:53 AM

just the same chord progression obviously .......

Paranoidd 01-18-2005 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=munky_magik]I'm waiting to see if anyone is going to make a fuss over your avatar.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I doubt it. It's highly satirical, although I already had to point that out to one person who didn't get it.

.:HIM:. 01-18-2005 06:56 AM

that is one funny avatar you got there munky magic

murray_lindsay 01-18-2005 08:10 AM

just a fluke.. are only so many chords on the neck.. pretty funny though. lots of songs use the same chords and stuff

Carn 01-18-2005 09:02 AM

well I do have to say that the latest sum41 seems to ripoff a lot of bands

Evil Clown Liquor 01-18-2005 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=murray_lindsay]just a fluke.. are only so many chords on the neck.. pretty funny though. lots of songs use the same chords and stuff[/QUOTE]

There [I]are[/I] many chords on the neck. Thousands.

Spectrum 01-18-2005 09:10 AM

Wow, that's pretty hilarious. They both use the same progressions in the same places, with only that difference at the end of the chorus. Hilarious.

I don't know if it was intentional. Look at how well Oasis' "Wonderwall" and Greenday's "Blvd. of Broken Dreams" go together if you modulate "Wonderwall" down a half step or so.

Sum 41 has a penchin for writing very easy songs. It was only a matter of time until it sounded exactly like another song by another popular artist.

Spectrum 01-18-2005 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Evil Clown Liquor]There [I]are[/I] many chords on the neck. Thousands.[/QUOTE]

A lot less for a powerchord band, though. There are almost infinite for a jazz guitarist, and about half that many for Coldplay.

Otherside 01-18-2005 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Paranoidd]There are many songs which use similar chord progressions, both intentionally and unintentionally. That one is pretty funny though.[/QUOTE]

omg liek ur pic suckz drugz ar3 nto cool lolol thy suckz hards!

Spectrum 01-18-2005 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Otherside]omg liek ur pic suckz drugz ar3 nto cool lolol thy suckz hards![/QUOTE]

omg leik ur pic sucks moer c0z hes a vampyre and vamps r ghey and hes ch3win on a cr055 hav mor resp3c for teh cathlic church u suckz hards!

Otherside 01-18-2005 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=SpectrumGuitarist]omg leik ur pic sucks moer c0z hes a vampyre and vamps r ghey and hes ch3win on a cr055 hav mor resp3c for teh cathlic church u suckz hards![/QUOTE]

d00d j00 shuldnt d1ss vamprs they migh eat j00!111!1!!elevaan11!1

Spectrum 01-18-2005 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Otherside]d00d j00 shuldnt d1ss vamprs they migh eat j00!111!1!!elevaan11!1[/QUOTE]

5o wh4t? an1m3 sux0rz n e way, end u leik an1m3, 5o j00 sux0rz 2 j00 f00!

B4K4^2=j00

3FingeredHoek 01-18-2005 09:40 AM

Dude, how could you say Coldplay blows,they are great imo.

Spectrum 01-18-2005 09:46 AM

I never said Coldplay blows - I called Sum 41 a powerchord band. I said they play half as many chords as a jazz guitarist, who knows pretty much every inversion of every chord and how to flat-9 anything, as well as throw pretty much any dissonance in any chord and make it work. I love Coldplay. They are a talented group and expert songwriters. Having bought the sheet music for both of their albums, I can attest that they have skill. Saying that Coldplay had about half as many chords as a jazz guitarist was a sort-of compliment.

3FingeredHoek 01-18-2005 09:51 AM

No, to the threadstarter Spectrum.

Spectrum 01-18-2005 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=311fan590]No, to the threadstarter Spectrum.[/QUOTE]

Oops. My mistake.

Zesty Mordant 01-18-2005 10:25 AM

while we're on topic, has anyone else noticed that the main riff from "stacked actors" by foo fighters sounds a lot like the can-can?

seriously, listen to it.

thickasabrick 01-18-2005 10:48 AM

Coldplay is much better than Sum 41. I haven't heard that Sum 41 song yet, and i'm at school so i can't listen...so i can't really make a statement whether they ripped it off or not.

but a lot of bands use very similiar chord progressions. If every band that ever used the twelve bar blues format was called a ripoff, than basically every band to date is a ripoff. some chord progressions are more popular than others, it's when riffs and melodys are the same, then you know they are just ripping the song off.

Anarchy for the UK 01-18-2005 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=thickasabrick]Coldplay is much better than Sum 41[/QUOTE]
:amaze:

iRage67 01-18-2005 11:50 AM

haha thats cute ....
what a nice colaboration of lame music
its preety funny

DeusExMachina 01-18-2005 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=Paranoidd]Meh, I doubt it. It's highly satirical, although I already had to point that out to one person who didn't get it.[/QUOTE]

omg fck ur avatr lzol. (Kidding, for anyone who has a third 21st chromosome)

Ramsey 01-18-2005 12:35 PM

Whoa, thats identical.

But Coldplay own the crap out of Sum 41 imo

"5150" 01-18-2005 01:31 PM

I can't tell the tracks apart on Sum 41's second album. If my memory serves me correctly, every song bar a couple has the same drum pattern and tempo.

Coldplay are good but no really my style.

PinkFloyd 01-18-2005 02:34 PM

lol

BurtonChancellor 01-18-2005 02:58 PM

Haha...wow, that's pretty funny. Pretty reminiscent of Nickelback's "How you remind me of Someday", but at least Nickelback were only ripping off themselves. That's a bit more respectable than ripping off another artist.

And it's not just the chord progressions. The vocal melodies are almost identical too, except for a few slight differences.

It's too bad. We really need some better flagbearers for the Canadian music scene. All we've got are crappy female pop songstresses and radio rock bands that represent much of what is wrong with mainstream Rock music today.

Glue_it_back 01-18-2005 02:59 PM

sum 41, i cant see how these could appeal to anyone other than busted fans...(when they were still together that is)

feeder - here in my bubble sound very much alike Smashing Pumpkins - Hummer.
someone check this out to see

artificialhigh 01-18-2005 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=BurtonChancellor]Haha...wow, that's pretty funny. Pretty reminiscent of Nickelback's "How you remind me of Someday", but at least Nickelback were only ripping off themselves. That's a bit more respectable than ripping off another artist.

And it's not just the chord progressions. The vocal melodies are almost identical too, except for a few slight differences.

It's too bad. We really need some better flagbearers for the Canadian music scene. All we've got are crappy female pop songstresses and radio rock bands that represent much of what is wrong with mainstream Rock music today.[/QUOTE]

Billy Talent and Alexisonfire. Enough said.

Although yeah, the Finger Eleven/Three Days Grace duo is getting tiresome. Love them but.. why the **** is every Canadian band now pop-punk or some ****ty *** Nickelback clone? Still.. Theory of a Deadman/Default should die for sullying our name. And Arnold Lanni should die a horrible, horrible death over an open flame.