Sputnik Music Forums

Sputnik Music Forums (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Music (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Recommendations (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203393)

Special Brew 03-12-2008 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=Akira;16045923]Check out Tower of Power.[/QUOTE]
Yes! I like this, it sounds like James Brown to me, which is good. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Jody LeCompte;16046565]Sublime, Reel Big Fish, Damien Marley, Mighty Mighty Bosstones.[/QUOTE]
These groups don't sound anything like The Aggrolites. :confused:

Jody LeCompte 03-12-2008 02:14 PM

The Aggrolites are the punk-reggae band aren't they?

If so, I do believe your ears are broken.

Special Brew 03-15-2008 10:41 PM

They're a traditional reggae band with some funk and soul elements. They're not punk in even the slightest way. I'm not looking for reggae music though, I'm looking for anything funk or related to it that sounds something like the particular song I posted.

Meatplow 03-19-2008 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=One Step Beyond;16111983]They're a traditional reggae band with some funk and soul elements. They're not punk in even the slightest way. I'm not looking for reggae music though, I'm looking for anything funk or related to it that sounds something like the particular song I posted.[/QUOTE]

I've just discovered Black Talk by Charles Earland which is similar in a way... you might dig. Check rep.

Special Brew 03-19-2008 09:34 AM

I can see how this is similar. It's good. Thanks!

Grey Incision 08-13-2008 06:50 PM

Hey, i listen to a lot of almost anything, but at the moment, i'm specifically after jazz with an avant-garde twist and a really dark feel. I haven't come across anything like this, so i can't really give too many examples....but here are some tracks that are the closest i can think of....

ulver-lost in moments
Frank Zappa-G spot tornado
Massive attack-Sly
Kayo dot (most works)
Mr. bungle-Platypus

I realise this doesn't really narrow it down.....I kinda want something with a Sunn 0)))) feel (very ominous/dark) but done in a jazz context of some sort, any help appreciated:) thanks.

follmanj 08-15-2008 03:23 PM

Damage, [url]www.myspace.com/damage[/url]

Grey Incision 08-16-2008 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=follmanj;16590899]Damage, [url]www.myspace.com/damage[/url][/QUOTE]

not quite buddy

ridethelib 12-07-2008 04:58 PM

Can you guys point me in the direction of some jazz fusion that is heavy on rad guitar work?

Progsounds 12-09-2008 12:40 PM

[img]http://www.progressivegrooves.com/cip.jpg[/img]

Happy Holidays From all of the Progressive Grooves Team!
This year has been the best so far for us and we hope you enjoy our releases.
We Will Make Sure they will keep on coming!

Fall Releases:

December 9, 2008 : Ciprian Lemnaru “Already happened Remixes”
Style :Deep Prog House . Includes Mikas Remix and Dub plus an Edit By Zeebo.

December 2 , Parts Per Million “PPM”
Style :Prog Trance , Deep Prog House .Includes 3 Original Songs.

November 25, Nano Mechanic “Blueprint Remixes”
Style :Prog House , Electro Tech. Includes Zeebo Remix And Bayramo Remix)

November 18, Ciprian Lemnaru “Already Happened”
Style : Deep House ,Tech House , Prog House .Include three mixes and 3 remixes.

November 11, Nano Mechanic “Fresh”
Style :Electro Prog Trance , Deep Techno. Includes Two Original Tracks .

October 21, Gabriel Batz “Blood”
Style Deep Prog House , Prog Trance . Include two original And One Remix

October 9, Dylan Warren “Emphasis”
Style , Prog House . Include the original and one remix.

September 23 , Various “Progressive Electro Deluxe Vol 1”
Style Electro Prog , Electro house .Includes 10 Songs

September 9, Nano Mechanic “Blueprint”
Style :Deep Electro Progressive . Include 2 Original Songs.

All of our Releases are available on :

Beatport ,Juno ,djdownload ,audiojelly ,djtunes ,Itunes ,play digital ,dancetunes , djhut
Napster ,amazon ,dancefuel ,resonant vibes ,djmr ,play digital ,emusic and many more!

We are now accepting application to our promo pool email us with bio and residencies for consideration (pool at progressivegrooves dot com)

Goule 12-13-2008 07:56 PM

Project by Renaldo & the Loaf on which a bunch of bands made covers of their songs

[url]http://soundfromsilence.co.uk/taboo_project_11.html[/url]

Goule 12-13-2008 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=Grey Incision;16584677]Hey, i listen to a lot of almost anything, but at the moment, i'm specifically after jazz with an avant-garde twist and a really dark feel. I haven't come across anything like this, so i can't really give too many examples....but here are some tracks that are the closest i can think of....

ulver-lost in moments
Frank Zappa-G spot tornado
Massive attack-Sly
Kayo dot (most works)
Mr. bungle-Platypus

I realise this doesn't really narrow it down.....I kinda want something with a Sunn 0)))) feel (very ominous/dark) but done in a jazz context of some sort, any help appreciated:) thanks.[/QUOTE]

Koenjihyakkei, or The kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble maybe?
EDIT: Kammerflimmer Kollektief and Jaga Jazzist too

CroWnedbaLLers 01-01-2009 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=AfroMan;3705251]Ok well in the Jazz/Funk forums - all we get is "What's some good Funk" or "Recommend me Jazz" all the time and it just feels like your repeating yourself everyday.

Well to make sure this doesn't happen again - I have made this thread so that everyone can post their favourite funk/Jazz artists followed by songs that you would recommend. Also feel free to put in as much extra info on the artist as you wish eg. recommended albums, bio, why you like the artist, if you like this artist you'll probably like.....etc etc. Also state what genre the artist fits into.

Ok i'll start -

[SIZE=4][U][B]James Brown[/B][/U][/SIZE]
[B]Soul/Funk[/B]

[B]Recommended songs -[/B]
Sex Machine
Papa's got a brand new bag
Living in America
I feel Good
I'm a Soul Man
It's a Man's World
Soul Power
The Big Payback

[B]Recommended album[/B] - Live at the Apollo

[B]If you like this artist you will probably like-[/B] Curtis Mayfield and Isaac Hayes.

etc etc

Feel free to put in as many recommendations as you want.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

when i will be allowed to post in this section????

badtaste 01-01-2009 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=CroWnedbaLLers;16995517]when i will be allowed to post in this section????[/QUOTE]

Jazz/funk has been merged into Other music.

So you are posting in the appropriate section.

magicbus 01-03-2009 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=ridethelib;16929521]Can you guys point me in the direction of some jazz fusion that is heavy on rad guitar work?[/QUOTE]

Return to Forever - The Romantic Warrior
Any of the first few Mahavishnu Orchestra albums.
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow and Wired

Some of my favorites.

Anthracks 04-02-2009 02:52 PM

I know practically nothing about electronic music, so I'd like some music similar to Aphex Twin's Ambient works.

Allyanderson 05-07-2009 04:43 PM

Great funk band

:chug:Hey, I was suring the old Myspace the other day--I found this really great funk band out of Toronto, Canada. They're called The Disease. I just bought their CD Patient 26185---great disco funk sound. So if your into that--check them out: www.myspace.com/drpayneandthedisease

Other great artists:
Mr. Sumthing Sumthing
God Made Me Funky

ENJOY!!!

joshmay 05-07-2009 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=Anthracks;17158634]I know practically nothing about electronic music, so I'd like some music similar to Aphex Twin's Ambient works.[/QUOTE]

a little different but check out boards of canada's newest album "campfire headphase" for some spacey electronic ****

MichelleLBC 06-09-2009 01:15 PM

I really like Keaton Simons, he's like John Mayer. He's going on a summer tour so I can't wait to see him and hopefully meet him.

FfejTball 06-16-2009 01:06 AM

[QUOTE=ridethelib;16929521]Can you guys point me in the direction of some jazz fusion that is heavy on rad guitar work?[/QUOTE]

Pat Metheney.

sonictheplumber 06-16-2009 01:07 AM

Can anyone recommend me some bands that sound like Yngwie Malmsteen?

FfejTball 06-16-2009 01:09 AM

[QUOTE=Anthracks;17158634]I know practically nothing about electronic music, so I'd like some music similar to Aphex Twin's Ambient works.[/QUOTE]

Check out BTone23. Heres their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/btone23

Dont really know what to compare them to...there are ambient moments (nothing like stone in focus though) but they usually flow into something else. Youd probably enjoy Royksopp as well, specifically melody in the a.m., its better than their new stuff. Either way, hope you enjoy.

sonictheplumber 06-16-2009 01:13 AM

completely ignored me you ***

FfejTball 06-16-2009 01:14 AM

[QUOTE=sonictheplumber;17301200]Can anyone recommend me some bands that sound like Yngwie Malmsteen?[/QUOTE]

Well, Ygwie is a virtuoso. But, Dragonforce, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Galloglass, Freedom Call, Dream Evil, Avantasia, Luca Turilli, Stratovarius, Rhapsody, Edguy, Evergrey, Gamma Ray, Symphony X or Demons and Wizards.

If you want truly epic metal, get a copy of [Secret of the Runes] by Therion.

sonictheplumber 06-16-2009 01:21 AM

lol

Maciej18 07-10-2009 07:27 AM

Recomended artist- Davinche

AnnieDavis 07-18-2009 09:17 PM

Jazz Vocalists

[B][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Jazz Vocalists[/COLOR][/B]

Rachel Lauren
Kurt Elling
Etta James
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Anita O'Day
Chet Baker
Betty Carter
Nancy Wilson

TricksterGRex 07-20-2009 07:57 PM

Can anyone hit me up with some recs for ambient/drone-esque jazz such as The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation?

robo2448 07-20-2009 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=magicbus;17000793]Return to Forever - The Romantic Warrior
Any of the first few Mahavishnu Orchestra albums.
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow and Wired

Some of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

In addition to the Mahavishnu stuff, John McLaughlin really shines on an album he did with Carlos Santana called Love Devotion Surrender. Check it out.

NebSnurb 07-28-2009 10:16 PM

My mistake was a mistake, I posted a rec thread outside of the rec thread....fail.

Anyone got anything psychedelic to recommend?